[Peace-discuss] Comment on some recent faking & bluffing

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Wed Jul 17 04:33:47 UTC 2013

Paul,
I am really confused by this post of yours in that it is address to both Carl and myself and includes a post from Carl to me with ccs to others in which the statement “and if you read the article, the author says that this trial was fundamentally flawed because it left race out” is included a being part of Carl’s post.  However, I never received any such posting from Carl with that statement as part of it, so either I did not get this posting from Carl or that statement is yours and not Carl’s.  If the latter is the case, including it in bold font without indicating that it is your comment and not Carl’s is not very clear.

I did read the link to the Counterpunch article that Carl furnished and I understand that the author made that point; however, I do not think that the trial was fundamentally flawed because race was left out, although it may have been one of the flaws of the trial.  So in that regard, I disagree with the author.  I think that the fundamental flaw was not allowing evidence, testimony, and arguments concerning the fact that Zimmerman initiated the confrontation (for whatever reasons) and did not take the opportunity to  withdrawal before the physical elements of the fight began when he could have as well as the possibility that his actions could have been perceived by Martin as being threatening enough to make him fear for his safety. Race as a factor only speaks to possible motivation for Zimmerman’s noticing, following, and initiating a confrontation with Martin; but it is not really essential to deciding the guilt or non-guilt with respect to the charges.  It would be a fundamental flaw if Zimmerman was charge with deliberately killing Martin because of his race but any consideration of race and racism were excluded from consideration.

If your message and the inclusion of the said bold type statement was directed to Carl and not really to me, then I will let Carl speak for himself.