[Peace-discuss] More differential application of SYG

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Fri Jul 19 06:05:34 UTC 2013

Why do you insist on making it such an oversimplified either vote to convict
or vote not to convict (in other words engage in jury nullification) in all
drug trials?  Are there not other possibilities or strategies?  why restrict
it to just drug trials since minorities are charged with and go to prison
for all kinds of violations of the law in disproportion to white middle and
upper class folks.

As I said, theoretically the strategy is interesting; I was only assessing
it from a practical perspective as to its effective implementation on a
meaningful scale.  I feel no obligation to come up with a strategy or
solution that is more practical and can be more effectively implemented on a
grand scale. I am not even sure one is possible.  I can think of all kinds
of actions that would be costly and time consuming pain-in-the-ass
disruptions and delaying tactics for the establishment; but such actions
would also wind up negatively impacting on and punishing for the defendants
who probably cannot get or afford bail and do not wish to have their lives
treated as a by-product of some reform or revolutionary movement.

Since it seems as though some have given up on changing the laws and
legislators as a lost cause, I do not feel the same way about the legal
system and juries; instead they see to feel that they stand a better chance
using the courts to change the laws and the system.  I have to assume that
the laws that are passed and the legislators who pass them must have enough
public support or apathy to get elected and pass the laws that they do
without the general public getting up in arms against them, the electoral
process, the legislative process and institutions, etc. to revolt despite
the establishment power, authority, money, and or propagandizing.

Obviously, I am not an optimist when it comes to believing that systemic
change is possible through reform, education, or employing the institutions
of the system against itself and the establishment that runs and controls
it.  I am cynical and skeptical when it comes to joining in impractical or
symbolic actions by people who tend to be political gadflies.