[Peace-discuss] Rep. Rodney Davis responds on Dent-Price Iran diplomacy letter

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Jul 22 17:31:02 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rep. Rodney Davis <rodneydavis-no-reply at mail.house.gov>
Date: Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Subject: From the Desk of Rodney Davis
To: "Mr. Robert R. Naiman" <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>

Rodney Davis
13th District, Illinois
------------------------------
www.rodneydavis.house.gov
www.facebook.com/reprodneydavis
www.twitter.com/rodneydavis

[image: Congress of the United States // House of Representatives //
Washington, DC 20515]

committee on agriculture

committee on transportation
and infrastructure  July 19, 2013
Mr. Robert R. Naiman
802 E California Ave
Urbana, IL 61801-4342

Dear Mr. Naiman,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for a letter written by
Congressman Dent and Congressman Price highlighting the need for diplomacy
with Iran. I appreciate hearing from constituents in my district and the
time you took to share your thoughts.

On June 15, 2013, Hassan Rouhani was elected as the new President of Iran.
Rouhani was one of eight candidates approved to run for President by
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has been in power as Iran's top
official for 24 years.

I support diplomacy and in order to be successful, the Administration needs
all the leverage possible to maintain pressure economically and
politically. That being said, few things concern me more on a national and
world security front than a nuclear-armed Iran. I am a co-sponsor of H.R.
850, the Nuclear Iran Prevention Act which would strengthen enforcement of
current U.S. sanctions on Iran, expand sanctions targeting Iran's human
rights violations, and authorize the President to impose sanctions on any
entity that maintains significant commercial ties to Iran. While I did not
sign this particular letter, I did want to share my support for diplomacy.
I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress considers future legislation
dealing with the reduction of nuclear threats and human rights.

Please let me know if my office can be of assistance to you in the future.
If you are facing a challenge with a federal agency or are planning a trip
to our nation's capital and would like a tour, please call my office or
visit my website. In addition, if you would like to stay informed on what
is happening in Washington, DC and around the 13th District, please sign up
to receive my e-newsletter by visiting
https://rodneydavis.house.gov/contact/newsletter. It is truly an honor to
represent you.

   Sincerely,