[Peace-discuss] Fwd: URGENT: Call Rep. Davis to vote against NSA spying on Americans

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Jul 23 18:20:01 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matt Lockshin, CREDO Action <act at credoaction.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Subject: URGENT: Call Rep. Davis to vote against NSA spying on Americans
To: Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org>

**
  [image: CREDO action]  *URGENT: Make a call to stop the NSA from spying
on us*

* Tomorrow, there will be a vote on an amendment that would rein in the
NSA's indiscriminate practice of collecting the phone call records of all
Americans. *

*Please call Rep. Davis today and tell him to vote for the Amash/Conyers
amendment to the defense spending bill. *

Click below for a sample script and the number to call:
  [image: Take action now
►]<http://act.credoaction.com/go/1272?t=1&akid=8448.1021725.Z4Voa9>

Dear Robert,
  [image: Don't let the NSA spy on us — click here to take action.]
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/1272?t=2&akid=8448.1021725.Z4Voa9>

Just over a month ago, news stories revealed the breathtaking scope of
President Obama's indiscriminate spying on American citizens who aren't
suspected of any wrongdoing.

There is something fundamentally un-American and deeply undemocratic about
this kind of government surveillance.

And tomorrow, a bipartisan coalition in Congress led by Republican Jason
Amash and progressive champion John Conyers is seeking to pass an amendment
that would rein in the NSA's indiscriminate practice of collecting the
phone call records of all Americans.

* If you care about protecting our First and Fourth Amendment rights, this
is a vital time to pick up the phone and speak out. *

* Call your member of Congress, Rodney Davis, today and tell him to support
the Amash/Conyers amendment. Click here for a sample script and the number
to call. <http://act.credoaction.com/go/1272?t=3&akid=8448.1021725.Z4Voa9> *

Supporters of the NSA's indiscriminate spying programs are clearly worried.
After a vote on the Amash/Conyers amendment was announced, the head of the
NSA scheduled an emergency briefing for members of Congress to lobby them
to oppose it.

They have reason to be worried. This issue brings together a coalition of
unlikely bedfellow from across the political spectrum, all united in
opposition to the PATRIOT Act's unconstitutional intrusion into the lives
of Americans suspected of no wrongdoing.

* With a vote tomorrow, it's important you speak out today. *

* Call Rep. Davis today and tell him to support the Amash/Conyers
amendment. Click here for a sample script and the number to call.
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/1272?t=4&akid=8448.1021725.Z4Voa9> *

Thank you for standing up for our civil liberties.

Matt Lockshin, Campaign Manager
CREDO Action from Working
Assets<http://act.credoaction.com/go/109?t=5&akid=8448.1021725.Z4Voa9>

*P.S.* This amendment is also about more than phone records. Since 9/11,
companies ranging from bookstores to credit card companies to rental car
agencies have been subject to requests under Section 215 of the PATRIOT
Act.

The official summary of the Amash/Conyers amendment reads:

 Ends authority for the blanket collection of records under the PATRIOT
Act. Bars the NSA and other agencies from using Section 215 of the PATRIOT
Act to collect records, including telephone call records, that pertain to
persons who are not subject to an investigation under Section 215.

 While this amendment would not stop all unconstitutionally intrusive NSA
activities, it would be an incredibly important first step toward shielding
everyday Americans from indiscriminate surveillance. And we should support
it while we continue to work for a full repeal of the PATRIOT Act and the
FISA Amendments Act.

* Please make a call today and tell Rep. Davis to vote for the
Amash/Conyers amendment.
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/1272?t=6&akid=8448.1021725.Z4Voa9> *

Click below for a sample script and the number to call:
  [image: Take action now
►]<http://act.credoaction.com/go/1272?t=7&akid=8448.1021725.Z4Voa9>

Robert Naiman
Policy Director