[Peace-discuss] America's first black president [takes steps] to keep blacks in prison under law now deemed unconstitutional

Szoke, Ronald Duane r-szoke at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 25 19:15:59 UTC 2013

Official pronouncement on Bradley Manning's true, secret motive for his actions.  Can anyone prove that it is right or wrong?

(Reuters) - Military prosecutors said the U.S. soldier accused of the largest leak of classified information in the nation's history was hoping to make a name for himself by releasing documents on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

As the court-martial of Private First Class Bradley Manning winds down, prosecutors in closing arguments on Thursday said that the 25-year-old intelligence analyst had betrayed the trust his nation put in him.

"The only human PFC Manning ever cared about was himself," said Major Ashden Fein, the lead prosecuting attorney.

Attorneys for Manning, who faces 21 counts of leaking more than 700,000 documents through the WikiLeaks anti-secrecy website, are due to make their closing remarks later in the day.

Earlier in the case they portrayed Manning as well-meaning but naive, intending to provoke a broader debate on U.S. military and diplomatic policy by releasing the documents. The most serious charge he faces, aiding the enemy, carries a life sentence.