[Peace-discuss] event in C-U 3/21 re: overturning Citizens United

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 20:37:45 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aquene, Public Citizen <amendment at citizen.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Subject: Illinois tour event nearby
To: naiman.uiuc at gmail.com

Robert,

*Don’t forget to RSVP for the training in your community this week.*

Together we’ll plan to reach out across party lines and build an inclusive
movement to overturn the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in *Citizens United v.
Federal Election Commission*.

We’ll be focusing on democracy and shared values, and we’ll be talking
about how to obtain support from your state and local representatives to
pass a resolution in the Illinois Legislature calling for a constitutional
amendment.

*Details and RSVP link below.*

Thanks,

Aquene

     Robert,

It’s happening in Bloomington/Normal, Champaign-Urbana and Rockford.

*You are invited to a training and strategy meeting led by Public Citizen
senior organizer Aquene Freechild to help make Illinois the 12th state to
call for an amendment overturning Citizens United.*

A resolution (SJR 27) has been introduced in the Illinois Senate calling
for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to take money out of politics.

Citizens are joining together to say “enough” to money in politics and to
work together to persuade their state representatives, Democrat and
Republican alike, to make passage of SJR 27 a top priority.

Here are the details of the upcoming tour:

*Bloomington/Normal, Co-sponsored by Public Citizen and The Indy*
*When:* Wednesday, March 20, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
*Location:* Schroeder Hall, Room 106; W. College Ave. (the corner of
College Ave. & University St., on the northwest end of the quad); Illinois
State University
RSVP to make sure we have enough
chairs.<amendment at citizen.org?subject=RSVP%20for%20Bloomington%20Event>

*Champaign-Urbana, Co-sponsored by Public Citizen and the Progressive
Democrats of America*
*When:* Thursday, March 21, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.*
*Location:* Independent Media Center; 202 S. Broadway
*We’ll be continuing on to the Champaign County Board meeting where the
board is considering a resolution calling for an amendment.
RSVP to make sure we have enough
snacks.<amendment at citizen.org?subject=RSVP%20for%20Urbana%20Event>

*Rockford, Co-sponsored by Public Citizen and MoveOn*
*When:* Friday, March 22, 5:15 - 6:30 p.m.
*Location:* Thunder Bay Grille; 7652 Potawatomi Trail (when on E. State
Street/I-20, go north on N. Bell School Road and take the first right onto
Potawatomi Trail, near the Holiday Inn)
RSVP to make sure we have enough
spots.<amendment at citizen.org?subject=RSVP%20for%20Rockford%20event>

>From March 25 through April 5, Illinois state legislators will be in their
home districts. It’s the perfect time to map out who influences them and
plan an effective meeting with the right messengers.

*Be sure to RSVP above to let us know which event you’ll be attending.*

Thanks for all that you do.

Sincerely,

Aquene Freechild
Public Citizen’s Democracy Is For People Campaign

P.S. Please forward this email to two family members or friends in Illinois
who might want to attend or know someone who can.

you do not want to receive future emails from Public Citizen.

© 2013 Public Citizen • 1600 20th Street, NW / Washington, D.C. 20009 •
www.citizen.org<http://qz.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=zfW4c24jSC8bYegzcp9LMq6UIRoXn0m5>
    **

--
Robert Naiman