[Peace-discuss] today's AWARE meeting - Bradley Manning rallying June 1st?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun May 19 20:33:02 UTC 2013

One of the reasons AWARE has maintained itself for more than a decade - other than the fact that the US government continues to commit what the Nuremberg Tribunal called "the supreme international crime" (i.e., worse than terrorism), that is, aggressive war - is its unvarying weekly meeting. Although attendance has varied from dozens to a very few, the meetings have almost always taken place, from shortly after 9/11/2001 to today.

Today should be no exception, although the meeting may be virtual; people are away after commencement at the local land-grant college, and it's a lovely spring afternoon to be outside.  I won't be able to make it, either. But we should say that there is a meeting, and appropriate AWARE funds to buy a drink for whoever shows up...

I'll be willing to work on a fact-sheet about Manning for the May 25 Farmers' Market and the June 1 demonstration, unless someone else is already doing so. (Unfortunately, after urging that we not cancel the Farmers' Market table on May 25, I find that a funeral will prevent my taking a shift on that day. We should see whether it's going to be possible to staff the table.)

Are members and/or friends of AWARE going to Ft. Meade on June 1? We should consider supporting them with AWARE funds.

We should also register our June 1 demo with <http://www.bradleymanning.org/featured/week-of-action-for-bradley-june-1-8>.

"AWARE on the Air" this coming Tuesday will be devoted to the Obama administration's announcement that its criminal war is limitless, in time and space, and we will stress Obama's persecution of Manning and associates for revealing the nature of that war. All members and friends of AWARE are invited to participate in the program, noon on Tuesday at the Urbana City Council chambers.

We'll announce the June 1-8 week of action for Bradley Manning.

Regards, CGE