[Peace-discuss] Electioneering / if not "here" then where?

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 14:27:44 UTC 2013

Electioneering / if not here then where?

At a library board meeting last night, the topic of electioneering*
came up. This is the second time in a week that I have been involved
in such a discussion.

The board and my bosses were concerned that electioneering would
"bother people" or obstruct people from doing what they came there to
do and/or the electioneer might be thought by the public to represent
the views of the library/store.

What about public bulletin boards -- there are fewer and fewer of these.

My question is: if electioneers are not allowed into public buildings,
nor buildings where the public is invited in, then where can people
electioneer?

What is a democracy without electioneering?

Where is there and inside free speech zone for handing out fliers and
one-on-one discussion? Do we (the public) need one?

Outside buildings on the public sidewalks, electioneering is allowed
as long as people can walk by without partaking if they are so
inclined.

Do we need loud boisterous discussions? Is there a public place for these?

-- karen medina

* Electioner: the definition from Merriam-Webster online is:
  to take an active part in an election; specifically :  to work for
the election of a candidate or party