[Peace-discuss] For those who don't read the NG

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 3 14:27:27 UTC 2013

Should have focused on Davis' ideas
Thu, 10/03/2013 - 7:00am | The News-Gazette

Columnist Jim Dey is older and rounder than he was in his prime. His hairline isn't receding too beautifully, and what's left of it has discolored to a lacklustre shade of white.
That description is analogous to how Dey starts his recent column on Angela Davis, picking her apart physically, making remarks about her weight, age and Afro. Why is it that my personal remarks are so obviously rude, whereas it is perfectly normalized for Angela Davis to be scrutinized for her appearance when he should have focused on the content of her speech?
Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin and Condoleezza Rice as well as pretty much every other female public figure have all been criticized in the media for their physical appearance whereas somehow pretty much every male public figure has gained immunity to this kind of irrelevant scrutiny.
Are men still so primitive that they have to size up women for sex before listening to what we actually have to say?
I am a female senior in high school full of brilliant ideas, and I would really appreciate living in a country where women could be recognized for their achievements. Shame on Dey for perpetuating this national problem at a local level and undermining confidence in young girls who read this paper and now feel that much less certain whether they are thin or pretty enough to become a respected public figure.
ISABELLE FITZPATRICK
Urbana