[Peace-discuss] FW:

Karen Aram via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Aug 3 11:16:30 EDT 2014

The National Campaign to End Corporate Personhood and
Demand Real Democracy!

About
| Donate
| Take
Action

A few months back we were subjected to some alarming news
reports:

By all accounts here, here, and here, Nevada rancher and militia man, Cliven Bundy
hasn’t got a legal or moral leg to stand on in his uprising against
the BLM.

DuPont heir, Robert H. Richards IV was convicted of raping his
3-year old daughter, and was sentenced to probation because he would not “fare
well in prison.”
What do these two seemingly unrelated events have to with each
other?

In both cases white, land-owning men basically
defied the law to escape punishment for their crimes. Meanwhile study after study reveals that the criminal justice system
produces more and harsher punishments for crimes committed by people
of color, especially African-American males.

Move to Amend is building a multi-racial, multi-generational
movement demanding real democracy, an end to corporate rule, and
justice for all. Our Campaign to Legalize Democracy aims to end
systemic racism so that the law will be equally applied regardless of
the color of our skin. For these reasons, centralizing race is among
our top organizing principles.

We want to take a moment to
call this out priority and commitment that we have as an organization,
because there are examples like the ones above that happen every day.

Racism is the single most critical barrier to
building effective coalitions for social change. We are
committed to create and promote an anti-racist culture in Move to
Amend, and practice anti-racism in our personal and political work.

To that end, we invite you to check out an organization-wide "study group" and education
program we began a year ago. We're just coming to the end of our
first full cycle of the program, and the experience has been deeply
enlightening and important at all levels of our organization. Next
month we will be determining where we go next with this effort,
because it is, of course, ongoing.

We will keep you posted
on how we will continue to hold ourselves accountable to these
commitments because you can count on Move to Amend to be in it to win
it, and we won't let any hurdle -- no matter how complicated and
entrenched -- stand in our way.

Yours for real
democracy,

Daniel Lee, David Cobb, Egberto Willies,
George Friday, Jerome Scott, Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap, Laura Bonham,
Edgar Franks, Richard Monje
Move to Amend National
Leadership Team

MOVE TO AMEND COALITION

PO Box 610, Eureka CA 95502 | (707) 269-0984 |
www.MoveToAmend.org

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the
U.S. Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling and other related cases,
and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish that money is
not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
entitled to constitutional rights.

This email was sent to karenaram at hotmail.com.  To
stop receiving emails, click here.