[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Invitation to record AWARE ON THE AIR

ya'aQov via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Aug 6 15:18:45 EDT 2014

Please find my response to Carl's message, as I read it on AWARE on the
Air, Tuesday, 8-5-2014.
​====================​

I do not support Carl Estabrook’s Anti-Obama statements, definitely not as
a blanket approval.

Carl’s statement ‘oppression of the Palestinians so long as Israel acts as
a “stationary aircraft carrier” for US control of Mideast oil and gas’.
 Well, the US sells arms to Egypt, Turkey, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain,
Qatar, feeding the Middle East with as many weapons they can stock.
 Nothing changed about that since 1967. The military complex is doing its
business as usual. Obama hasn’t started that, nor stopped it.  Yet I prefer
Obama to any of the alternatives who ran for president last.

I pointed at the simplistic US tendency for unambiguous right/wrong.  I
pointed out the failure to represent Israelis and Palestinians, drawing
 efforts from an obsolete  and inefficient concept, that didn’t generate
desired results.

I called and call for seeking a new strategy, one which will involve
directly Palestinians.  Szoke called it, off the cuff ‘completely
ineffectual’.  Abundance of terms taken from Nazi Germany, such as Gaza a
concentration camp. What?!  people with arms, administration, elections, a
charter calling for the destruction of Israel is a concentration camp? Open
air prison, yes, but not a concentration camp. The decision to invest
financial assistance sent to Ghaza into tunnels and not houses, the
decision to maintain refugee camps rather than build houses was taken by
these people.  The decision to maintain the telegenic image of refugees was
corroborated again and again by these very people.

Szoke called to negotiate with Hamas. I pointed out that Szoke that had no
idea of what Hamas say, their charter, their names and standpoints.  Szoke
replied to my challenge for him to name 5 Hamas leaders ‘completely
incoherent ,  Hamas don’t have designated leaders and that is their
strength’.

The problem is that Szoke represents so many US intellectuals , who
essentially have no clue about the  Palestinians and Israelis they talk
about.  Ron Szokes of the US academia choose to not discourse with Israelis
and Palestinians.

I ran the Google search>>  'Hamas leaders' and got:

Mohammad Deif, Commander of Hamas military wing,
Isra al-Modallal, spokeperson
Khaled Mashal, leader
Abdel Aziz al-Rantisi, co founder d. 2004
Sheikh Ahmed Ismail Hassan Yassin, founder, d.2004
Mahmoud al-Zahar, co-founder
Ismail Haniyeh, Leader

Moreover, in the evening of last Tuesday’s AWARE on the Air,  Khaled
Mashal, leader of the Hamas,  spoke on Charlie Rose, providing  standpoints
and clarifications galore, to learn from.

There are plenty opportunities to get informed on what Hamas are intent on,
on
Hamas position on what they are doing and on their rationale.  Also plenty
opportunities to get informed on how and why Hamas are:
using children as human shield spending finance assistance for Ghaza on
building into Israel launching rockets on Israelis
Ultimately, these ‘standpoints’ feed into increasing hatred  and
anti-Zionism feeding into anti-Israel and anti-Jews, and into anti-Moslems
and anti-Palestinians on the other hand.

Ron Szokes of the academic world are responsible for this hatred and the
way it, in turn, fuels mobs into aggression and perpetuation of violence.

Ya'aqov Ziso

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM, C. G. Estabrook via Peace <
peace at lists.chambana.net> wrote:
> Members and friends of AWARE are invited to sit in and participate (if
you wish) in this week's recording of "AWARE on the Air" on Urbana Public
Television.

> We record the program on Tuesdays from noon to 1pm in the Urbana City
Council Chambers, 400 S. Vine Street, Urbana.

> The program is unrehearsed, but here is the planned introduction:

> Good evening & welcome to AWARE ON THE AIR. I’m Carl Estabrook.
>
> Our program is presented by members & friends of AWARE, the Anti-War
Anti-Racism Effort of Champaign-Urbana, a local peace group, in the 32nd
week of 2014, a week in which the Obama administration had two bloody hands
in eastern Europe and SW Asia, squeezing the life out of men, women and
children. The hands are called Ukraine and Israel, and we Americans are
responsible for what the USG is doing with them.

> In 2011, after killing US citizen Anwar al-Awlaki and his son in separate
drone strikes, President Obama said, "Turns out I'm really good at killing
people. Didn't know that was gonna be a strong suit of mine." On his
orders, five thousand people have been killed with drones, including two
hundred children.

> Last Friday, after the revelation that his CIA director John Brennan lied
about CIA activities in regard to the still-unreleased Senate Intelligence
Committee report on torture, President Obama admitted casually, “We
tortured some folks."  Later it turned out that Obama’s claim to have
banned all forms of torture was false. He admitted casually that he banned
only SOME of the CIA’s torture techniques.

> President Obama has in fact shown himself willing to kill thousands of
men, women, and children as a minion of  “the one percent,” because the
president’s crimes of torture and murder are certainly not in the interest
of most Americans - only those who want to maintain the American one
percent’s control over the world economy, which they have enjoyed since the
Second World War. To maintain that control, Washington uses its 1,000
military bases around the world and “special forces,” active in 124
countries. (Their activities include kidnapping - we call it “rendition” -
torture and murder)

> This month, murders are also being carried out by two client states of
the US, Israel and Ukraine - the bloody hands of the Obama administration
in Europe and Asia. Israel has massacred almost two thousand people in
Gaza, mostly civilians, and the US-backed (and installed) government in
Kiev has killed almost as many in eastern Ukraine, the Donbas region; and
its war has resulted in the destruction of a commercial airliner that
killed 298 men, women, and children.

> Who is responsible for mass murder in Gaza and Donbas? Of course their
leaders can be blamed for Israel and Ukraine’s committing what the
Nuremberg Tribunal called “the supreme international crime” (i.e., worse
than terrorism): waging aggressive war. But the final responsibility lies
with the President of the United States. Without the support - economic,
military, political, and diplomatic - that the U.S. government provides,
Israel’s crimes would not be possible - and neither would the coup and
military assaults by the Ukrainian government.

> President Obama fails to stop Israel’s ongoing murders in Gaza - as he
could, with a word - because it’s been the policy of all U.S.
administrations for two generations to allow the Israelis to continue their
oppression of the Palestinians so long as Israel acts as a “stationary
aircraft carrier” for US control of Mideast oil and gas.

> In eastern Europe the US immediately violated its promise not to extend
NATO to the borders of Russia and is now scheming to do so through Ukraine,
Georgia and Moldova. President Obama’s administration engineered the coup
against an elected government in Ukraine and sent the CIA chief to
encourage a Ukrainian army attack on the regions that resisted the new
government - the first government in Europe since WWII to include fascist
parties.

> How much longer will Americans put up with a murderous president in
Washington, who can smile and smile and be a villain? Will the pictures of
dead children for whom he’s responsible lead to his being driven form
office, as Presidents Johnson and Nixon were?

> Will his failure to provide jobs and economic relief for millions of
Americans - what he was elected for - lead to his impeachment? Will the
real distress of most Americans finally boil over into direct opposition to
the Obama administration?

> The Pentagon thinks it’s a possibility: the Guardian newspaper in London
reports that the US  military is preparing for mass civil breakdown. “The
multi-million dollar programme is designed to develop immediate and
long-term "warfighter-relevant insights" for senior officials and decision
makers in "the defense policy community," and to inform policy implemented
by "combatant commands" - that is, against US citizens.

> But Obama’s main task is to cover over the wars he’s sponsoring, the
murders he’s committing, and the misery he’s causing. Three-quarters of
Americans disapprove of the wars of the Bush-Obama years, and the billions
of collars spent on them that could have been used here at home. Obama was
elected to end the wars and provide jobs. He hasn’t done either one, and
Americans’ anger is growing. His job is to turn aside that anger.

> One way that’s done is to use a compliant media to misrepresent the Obama
administration’s military and economic policy. Our task here at AWARE ON
THE AIR - like similar independent programs around the country - is to
combat that overwhelming propaganda.

> We’ll try to do that tonight with reports & comments from members are
friends of AWARE...

> ###

I do not support Carl Estabrook’s Anti-Obama statements, definitely not as
a blanket approval.

Carl’s statement ‘oppression of the Palestinians so long as Israel acts as
a “stationary aircraft carrier” for US control of Mideast oil and gas’.
 Well, the US sells arms to Egypt, Turkey, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain,
Qatar, feeding the Middle East with as many weapons they can stock.
 Nothing changed about that since 1967. The military complex is doing its
business as usual. Obama hasn’t started that, nor stopped it.  Yet I prefer
Obama to any of the alternatives who ran for president last.

I pointed at the simplistic US tendency for unambiguous right/wrong.  I
pointed out the failure to represent Israelis and Palestinians, drawing
 efforts from an obolete  and inefficient concept, that didn’t generate
[...]

Ron Szokes of the academic are responsible for this hatred and the way it,
in turn, fuels mobs into aggression and perpetuation of violence.