[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Invitation to record AWARE ON THE AIR

ya'aQov via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Aug 6 20:35:35 EDT 2014

Karen, All,

First, thank you. The dynamics of the panel evolved differently from
what what Carl and I wrote BEFORE the panel.  On the air, Carl
responded to what I've read.  My point was how the military complex
sells arms to its client states in the Middle East. Israel is NOT a
stationary aircraft for the US. That metaphor needs now substance, so
we know what exactly you and Carl meant.  It often happens, that an
academic uses a metaphor (made viable and useful during the reading of
an article) that doesn't reflect a reality, or that needs further
explanation.

Carl pointed out how the US and Israel supported the creation of Hamas
in the 90's, a point worth pursuing. Carl did not mention Mashal. I
was the only one to suggest we call these leaders by their names, and
attempt to understand what they stand for (the Hamas Charter and
recent interviews with them being a good start). Carl was the only one
on the panel that listened and started addressing my points. Szoke
stuck to his broken record of 'completely incromprehensible', etc.

Based on what Ron Szoke's comments in the last 3 AWARE on the Air
panels, hold to my critique of his statements and positions (not of
him as a lovely community member).

I find a direct link between the hatred brought by Green and Szoke (in
Green primaries campaign discussions) and the mob behavior of Stephen
Francis.  While, academically, Green and Szoke's comments were walking
a thin line between anti-Israel and anti-Jews, SF didn't notice the
line, and jumped in with his Holocaust denial notes and conference.
Typically, that's how mobs operate.  Past day anti-Semitic and
anti-Israel mobs in Belgium, France, Germany are evidence to behaviors
of those who don't know, nor care to draw thin lines.

As long as AWARE will fail to represent direct attempts with Israelis
and Palestinians, I will attempt to fill that gap.  Respectfully
Karen, I do not support Szoke's statements as  a voice for remedy.  As
I said, I see them as a repetition of a strategy that was never
successful.  Time to look it in the face and draw new conclusions.

On the air, I also said: as long as Szoke repeats his statements, I
will no longer address them.  Let's wait for the YouTube recording, so
everybody will see what they've missed.

Cordially,
Ya'aqov