[Peace-discuss] Letter to editor

David Green via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Aug 6 23:27:50 EDT 2014

Also probably worth noting, in relation to "good faith," is the lie that I've heard repeated in recent days that Palestinians destroyed the Israeli green houses after the settlers were evacuated; the settlers destroyed half of them before leaving.

DG

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:21 PM, David Green <davegreen84 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Israeli strategists have been quite straightforward about "mowing the lawn," "putting Gaza on a diet," etc. The strategy of economic "de-development" (as discussed by Sara Roy) goes all the way back to 1967. In any event, you reverse the relationship between the perpetrator and the victim, no harder to see in this case than when the Nazis invaded Poland.
>

>DG
>

>On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:52 PM, Roger Helbig <rwhelbig at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Your statement about "planned response" is probably totally bogus - I
>>strongly expect that if you did actual research instead of only
>>finding what agrees with preconceived conclusions, that you would find
>>that Israel left
 Gaza in good faith - the Palestinians, though
>>immediately introduced offensive weapons in bad faith -
>>
>>Rockets are TERROR WEAPONs because a rocket is an unguided missile -
>>they can not be accurately targeted and the only reason that there
>>have not been large numbers of Israeli civilian casualties is because
>>Iron Dome works -
>>
>>Roger
>>

>>On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 6:28 PM, David Green via Peace-discuss
>><peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> wrote:
>>> Here's a letter that I sent to the NG today, that accurately summarizes my
>>> views.
>>>
>>> DG
>>>
>>> Israel's recent/current onslaught against Gaza is consistent with long-term
>>> ambitions for controlling "Greater Israel." Gaza has since 2005 been a
>>> prison, with its economy and borders tightly controlled by Israel's siege.
>>> This is a planned consequence of Israel's withdrawal of settlers in 2005--not
>>> a response to Palestinian resistance. Recurrent massacres by the IDF
>>> constitute maintenance for this state of affairs.
>>> Israel's hegemonic ambitions are promoted by all major political parties in
>>> Israel and the U.S., and by mainstream Jewish organizations. Our government
>>> provides weapons and diplomatic cover, including a "peace process" that is
>>> really a settlement process. Palestinian communities on the West Bank live
>>> under the constant threat of Israeli terror, from settlers and the IDF,
>>> before and after the murder of three Israeli youths (but not by Hamas) in
>>> June.
>>> In our community, religious and secular Jewish leaders and institutions
>>> follow the dictates of national Jewish organizations in their support for
>>> right-wing Zionist extremism. Instead of consulting with the local Jewish
>>> community at large, they ally themselves with plutocratic U.S. geopolitical
>>> and military interests and their strategies to control Middle East energy
>>> resources; and with Christian Zionists--right wing fundamentalists who view
>>> the region in apocalyptic terms that are anti-Semitic and Islamophobic (and
>>> un-Christian) at their core.
>>> It is in this
 context that those who have been hired as leaders of the