[Peace-discuss] The loss of Free speech at UI and beyond

Ian K via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Aug 7 10:04:13 EDT 2014

Dear list,

We have recently discussed the silencing of Israel's critics on UI's
campus. I believe academic censorship is an important issue. But, as Carl
and others will agree, mass silencing of alternative perspectives is the
rule rather than the exception. Systemic commercial censorship through
concentrated media is the most potent enemy of free expression in the US.
Its power is compounded by its relative invisibility under the cloak of
free enterprise.

I rarely make calls for action via the list, but I believe we are at a
tipping point for the FCC's decision regarding the merger of Comcast and
Time Warner Cable. The merger would give Comcast near one-third of the US
market and 90% of Latino homes in some areas. In short, Comcast will
increasingly dictate what average Americans DON'T see and sell the
influence to the highest bidders. Is it worth noting there are no
Palestinians on the board of directors?

Here
<http://iankivelindavis.com/2014/07/29/the-public-interest-argument-against-comcast-twc-merger/>is
a version of my public filing with the FCC. Here
<http://www.fcc.gov/transaction/comcast-twc>is where you can file yours.
Volume of public voices matters as the FCC tries to push the deal through.
Any critical comment with a clearly stated "no" to the empowerment of
Comcast is a contribution in this critical moment.

Fight this sick marriage of free expression and free enterprise. Broad
public involvement may still be the answer.

Solidarity,
Ian

IKD