[Peace-discuss] A Friend of mine's live report from Fergusson Mo. yesterday

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Mon Aug 18 08:20:56 EDT 2014

Tonight got crazy, but let me start with the beginning.

The mood during the day was as yesterday, except that by the afternoon
there were even more people out. A rally at a big church was planned,
first for 3:00 and then it was announced that it wouldn't be until 4:00.
By 3:30, there were still a hundred or so people at the main gathering
place, showing no signs of leaving. One person said that she wasn't into
going to hear all the "big names" (various local politicians, the chief
of the state police, Al Sharpton, etc.) I decided to go because I wanted
to see what the rally would be like. When I got there, parking was only
available about a quarter mile away, there were so many people there.
There must have been 3 - 4,000 people. Massive. There was no way I was
getting in, but I listened a bit from the outside.

I should note that this church is right alongside the freeway, several
miles from the heart of town. Really, nothing else around. The street
protest is on W. Florissant, about a mile or so down the road from the
street that leads to and from the freeway. What happens is that the cops
block off W. Florissant to traffic around 4:00 p.m. So the effect of
this rally was to discourage people from going to the street protest. I
am absolutely certain that this was the intent. Those who wanted to,
myself included, were able to drive around the police block and get near
the center of things, but it wasn't very easy.

I got back to the street protest around 4:30 or 5:00 and it was like
yesterday -- a tremendous feeling of solidarity. We have talked about
how the old traditions have been lost, and a very graphic example is
this: I got to talking to a woman and her daughter. The symbol here now
is to raise your hands and chant, "hands up, don't shoot". I always
raise my fist instead. I asked the daughter - a pre teen - if she'd ever
seen people put up their fist, if she knew what it meant. It was totally
new to her.

you can see a leadership being born, but again it's clear that the old
traditions - both good and bad - are not there. This new leadership is
being born in the form of young people marching up and down the street
leading chants. It's totally spontaneous, but the most confident and
assertive are the ones leading it. Given time and without "outside"
interference, they would develop into a revolutionary leadership. But
that's just the point - as the previous church rally showed - there will
b all sorts of intervention from politicians, preachers, people like Al
Sharpton, etc.

Some goals are clear: They want the cop charged with murder. They want
the chief of police fired. Beyong that, though, things get more murky.
One guy marches around with a sign demanding that the cops live in the
city where they work. Others have religious signs.

I added to my sign of yesterday. I put:
"Oakland - Ferguson - Gaza
Unite!
"Rely only on our own strength."

Now comes the hairy part: As it started getting dark, a few people
organized a march up and down W. Florissant. We marched half way up to
Airport Rd. and then back down the other way. We got maybe a quarter
mile past the main meeting point. At this time, things were totally
peaceful. The mood was a combination of angry and festive, if that makes
any sense. I was about two blocks behind the head of the march, and all
of a sudden I saw people come running back down the street. I looked up
ahead, and it looked like fog was rising up from the street, but it
wasn't fog; it was tear gas. I kind of stopped, but everybody was
running back so I joined them. A few blocks back, half the crowd (mostly
the younger people) stopped, regrouped and started marching back. you
could see the lights from the cop cars strung out all across the street
as they slowly moved towards us. A layer of the people, mainly youth,
were saying, "no. fuck that. It ain't even twelve o'clock yet. (by that
time it was about 9:30 or so. The reference to twelve was that a curfew
had been declared for that hour. It is interesting that part of the
outrage was that the cops weren't abiding by the rules that they had set
up, however arbitrary those rules were.) Back these youth surged.
Another round of tear gas. This time even more and even closer.
Everybody ran back. More tear gas. Shouts, Curses. Mass confusion, but
order in the confusion.

A huge traffic jam, because part of this street protest is car loads of
young people driving up and down W. Florissant past the main gathering
point (which is where the QT store was burned to the ground), honking,
kids hanging out the windows and doors with their hands up, etc. (Ihave
all that on video.) So there were all these cars in the middle of the
street, trying to get out, trying to get away from the advancing police
line.

As for myself, my car was kind of trapped behind the police line, a
block or so off W. Florissant. I couldn't get back to it. So I had to
walk maybe a mile or so around to get to it from behind.

I'm planning on going back home Monday afternoon, unless something
really new pops up before then. When I get back, I'm going to work on
posting that video. I think it will do a million times more to give an
idea of the mood and consciousness than anything I could write. But the
main thing is the youth are out here, way way more than ever came close
in Occupy Oakland or anything else I've seen since the 1960s. As to why
that is, I have some ideas, but I'm a little too tired to get into that
right now.

John Reimann