[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] [sf-core] Re: Academic rebellion against Salaita firing growing?

Ian K via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Aug 27 18:55:32 EDT 2014

I want to echo Carl's point about the "yahoos" in the administration. I
think part of what Carl's comment underlines is the systemic problem. Not
just a few bad apples. I want to go a step further. Wise's decision and the
board's univocal support raises other questions about administration
altering the value system of higher education. This has become clear to me
as I recently took a faculty position elsewhere. The power of
administrators.

Academic administrations, no matter the personal knowledge or wisdom, can
become a conservative force by the nature of the position. They have little
investment in "high-minded" notions bound up with free inquiry. It, it is
more properly called "it," is a class for whom good management is an end in
itself. As a conservative force, Wise protects the University (the donor
base in mind) from political controversy and upheaval. She chose "speech
decorum" to rationalize the pass on Salaita, though it was content rather
than form that triggered the job withdrawal. "It is not what he said but
how he said it," they would have us believe. It is happenstance that the
admin chose to police speech decorum when the speech itself lined up with
the political hegemon. Wink.

The issue is the role of administration as a proportionate sector of
education labor/cost. Admin takes the larger salaries. It increasingly
soaks up the total funds available to universities, diverting more to
itself than to instruction. It also governs its own growth by shifting
spending priorities toward more layers of bureaucracy and away from
teaching resources. The Salaita episode draws a vivid picture of this
process taking place at the level of values as well: how we value
instructors. It is part of the administrative eclipse of the teaching
university.

Evidence of the inflation is important:

administration-to-student ratios over time
<http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/septemberoctober_2011/features/administrators_ate_my_tuition031641.php?page=all>

1975:

1 administrator . . . 84 students
1 staff member  . . . 50 students.

2005:

1 administrator . . . 68 students
1 staff member . . . 21 students.

By some metrics, Illinois grants more funding for administration than
teaching resources . . . including faculty salary.

Carl notes that this kind of political-academic silencing has a history
back to the world wars. I agree. But the late 20th-century
self-aggrandizement and bloat of administrative functions at large in
higher ed is something new and clearly relevant. The two are linked and we
witness it in decisions about radical politics. The problem is not the
wisdom of Chancellors. The problem is in the power over the value system
represented by Chancellor (and staff members).

IKD

IKD