[Peace-discuss] Newsletter - 2014 In Review - Popular Resistance

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Dec 28 11:55:06 EST 2014

Newsletter - 2014 In Review

By Margaret Flowers and Kevin Zeese, www.popularresistance.org
December 27th, 2014

<https://www.popularresistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2014-the-Year-
Everything-Changed.jpg> Description: 2014 the Year Everything ChangedAt the
beginning of 2014, we wrote about
<https://www.popularresistance.org/popular-resistance-newsletter-our-tasks-i
n-2014/>  the tasks of the movement for the year to work towards the goal of
building a mobilized mass movement. Progress was made this year on a number
of fronts where not only did greater numbers of people mobilize, but people
also made connections between  issues and worked in solidarity.

We'll look back at some of the tasks we identified and how we did:

Build unity around the values of the movement - a primary task is
identifying not just what we are against but defining what we are for, what
kind of society we hope to build. In 2014, there were conferences held
across the country where people discussed how to build a new economy that
creates and maintains wealth locally, empowers people and decreases the
wealth divide. Cities like Jacksonville, FL are creating roadmaps
<https://www.popularresistance.org/building-community-wealth-in-jacksonville
/>  to the new economy by building on successful models elsewhere. Seattle,
WA is working towards a public bank
<https://www.popularresistance.org/seattle-considering-creation-of-a-public-
bank/>  that keeps public dollars from feeding Wall Street.

In 2014, hundreds of thousands mobilized
<https://www.popularresistance.org/peoples-climate-march-floods-wall-street/
>  in New York for climate action, which is significant for its
groundbreaking precedent. But even more significant was the growing breadth
<https://www.popularresistance.org/peoples-climate-march-floods-wall-street/
>  of the climate movement linking people concerned with labor, finance,
opposition to war, food and water and the growing understanding that
capitalism is a root cause of the crisis (as it is for many crises we face).
Also significant is that communities are activated
<http://wearesenecalake.com>  across the country to stop new fossil fuel
infrastructure <http://wearecovepoint.org> , end extreme energy extraction
<https://www.popularresistance.org/peoples-climate-march-floods-wall-street/
>  and demand climate justice, and the movement is having an impact.

<https://www.popularresistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Black-Lives-Ma
tter-protest-in-Americas-mall-3-e1419197302168.jpg> Description: Black Lives
Matter protest in America's mall 3And in the later part of 2014, the massive
and sustained response to the killings of unarmed Michael Brown, Eric
Garner, Tamir Rice and the continued killing of people of color has changed
the conversation
<https://www.popularresistance.org/the-police-arent-under-attack-institution
alized-racism-is/>  about systemic racism and its impacts on people and
communities. The Black Lives Matter movement has drawn people from all
sectors of society, even within the ranks of police. Officers of color
report
<https://www.popularresistance.org/off-duty-black-officers-in-new-york-say-t
hey-fear-fellow-cops/>  that when they are off duty, they are mistreated by
white officers. That police officers could join the movement reminds us that
this is a fight against institutional violence
<https://www.popularresistance.org/you-are-not-my-enemy-violence-is-my-enemy
/> , not against individuals. And, we recognize the immense
consciousness-raising needed
<https://www.popularresistance.org/reaction-to-deaths-of-police-shows-consci
ousness-raising-challenge/>  for the country to face up to racially unfair
policing.

Exposing the myths and explaining the reality - changing the conversation is
essential to show the failures of current systems and the necessity of
replacing them. In our highly-propagandized environment, this is
accomplished by exposing the 'official policies,' meaning what lawmakers say
that a policy does, and the 'actual policies,' what policies actually
create.

 <https://www.popularresistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1tppdc2.png>
<https://www.popularresistance.org/get-ready-now-for-fast-track-fight/>
that exploit workers and the environment for the benefit of the wealthy to
the health law
<https://www.popularresistance.org/fairpoint-worker-speaks-out-for-universal
-healthcare/>  that was written to preserve the profits of the medical
industry while patients continue to forego care due to cost to the myth of
humanitarian war
<https://www.popularresistance.org/the-war-to-start-all-wars/> , the public
is waking up to the concept that many of our policies are not what they say
they are.

This is not surprising. Important studies
<https://www.popularresistance.org/fighting-for-a-legitimate-democracy-by-an
d-for-the-people/>  this year proved that government policies are written by
and for the 1% at the expense of the rest of us. The democratic legitimacy
of the government is undermined when it does not serve the people. And that
brings us to the next task.

Changing the political environment instead of succumbing to it - for a long
time people viewed elections as the most important tool for changing the
political environment, but this year the election turnout showed that many
recognize voting as ineffective in the current environment. Fear tactics are
used in each election cycle to divide the people into red and blue teams and
pit them against each other. The dismal turnout and significant losses for
the Democrats show that many people see the reds and blues as one team that
pushes us further towards wealth inequality, war and climate chaos.

We are not saying don't vote, but the message is clear that the most
important task is to build the people
<https://www.popularresistance.org/top-priority-build-the-movement-not-elect
oral-politics/> 's movement. That is where we must put our energy and
resources until we create an electoral climate that is more democratic and
that allows participation by more people, particularly those who are most
affected by unjust policies.

<https://www.popularresistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1savetheintern
et.png> Description: 1savetheinternetAnother task is to recognize that we
must not allow ourselves to be bound by the political options that we are
given when we know that they are inadequate. We can't accept what is "on the
table" when those who set the table fail to represent our needs. An
excellent example of re-setting the table so our issue is included has been
the battle for the future of the Internet
<https://www.popularresistance.org/popular-resistance-newsletter-a-case-stud
y-in-people-power/> , where reclassification of the Internet as a common
carrier under Title II of the Telecommunications Act was deemed politically
impossible, now it is politically inevitable. This was a good year for
Internet freedom
<https://www.popularresistance.org/four-ways-2014-was-a-pivotal-year-for-the
-internet/> .

The people are calling for real solutions to the crises we face, not the
false solutions put forth which maintain the status quo. We are so often
told to accept compromise, but we cannot compromise when, as Gandhi said,
"It is all give and no take."

<https://www.popularresistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1torture1.jpg>
next task which is to maintain a position of principled dissent. We must
fight for what is right and do what is necessary to attain it.

The President and the CIA did all that they could to suppress information
about the CIA's illegal torture program, but the Senate Intelligence
Committee's redacted report was finally released. Although the President is
publicly advocating that nothing is done to hold those responsible for the
program accountable, law suits are in the works
<https://www.popularresistance.org/criminal-complaint-against-bush-era-tortu
re-architects/> . If we want to prevent further torture and its spread, we
must continue to demand accountability.

<https://www.popularresistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Obama-meets-Bl
ackLivesMatter.jpg> Description: Obama meets BlackLivesMatterRecently when
#BlackLivesMatter advocates met with President Obama
<https://www.popularresistance.org/what-happened-when-blacklivesmatter-met-o
bama/>  they stuck to their high moral ground, demanding action on
injustice. When President Obama told them to go slow, they stood firm: "If
we don't get what we came for, we will shut it down. President Obama knows
that and we know it. No meeting can stop that."

For every crisis we face, our job is to stay focused on the end goal and
work to achieve it. Others will follow.

We must not accept false solutions although there will certainly be attempts
to encourage us to do so, even by groups who consider themselves to be
progressive. The only way we will reach real solutions is by fighting for
them.

Emphasize our roles as change agents - during this phase of the movement, we
are tasked with deep organizing to build national consensus. We must grow
the movement by reaching out to those both outside and inside the power
structure to draw them to us.  When we draw those within the power structure
to our side, we weaken that structure.

<https://www.popularresistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Screen-Shot-20
14-12-25-at-10.51.49-AM.png> Description: Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 10.51.49
AM

One caveat, when we reach out to lawmakers, we must remember that our role
is not to appease them but to do what it takes to achieve our demands. In
The Activist
<https://www.popularresistance.org/activists-handbook-a-checklist-for-change
/> 's Handbook, Randy Shaw states that the best relationship with public
officials is "fear and loathing."

This was clearly evident in the New York battle to ban fracking
<https://www.popularresistance.org/cuomo-didnt-stop-fracking-the-communities
-did/> . Activists hounded the governor with their anti-fracking message
wherever he went and no matter what he was talking about to the point where
he hated them. In the end, because of the persistence of activists, New York
became the first state to ban fracking.

This is a marathon, not a sprint - And that brings us to the final point,
that we must not become discouraged when we do not see quick results. We are
in a huge struggle, but we are on the right side of history. If we persist,
we will win eventually.

 <https://www.popularresistance.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1ferc1.jpg>

2014 was a year of significant growth for the movement in both numbers of
people involved and in political education. As author Rebecca Solnit writes
<https://www.popularresistance.org/everythings-coming-together-while-everyth
ing-falls-apart/> , as everything is falling apart, we are coming together.
And that is what it will take.

We see some important battles looming in 2015.

*	In the early part of the year, we will need to mobilize for net
neutrality.  Click here to get involved
<https://www.popularresistance.org/net-neutrality-were-winning-dont-let-tele
coms-stop-us/> .
*
*	We will also need to mobilize quickly to stop Congress from passing
Fast Track legislation that would allow him to sign damaging trade
agreements such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Click here to join that
work <http://www.flushthetpp.org/pledge/> .
*
*	We will need to work both within the US and in cooperation with
international movements for climate justice to either force governments to
take appropriate action in the next climate treaty or to stop them from
causing more harm. Click here to join Popular Resistance
<https://www.popularresistance.org/we-are-cove-point-takes-on-dominion-resou
rces/> 's climate justice group.
*
*	We will need to continue to demand real solutions to end racist and
militarized policing. In DC, groups are holding weekly actions at the DOJ
and are urging solidarity actions. Click here to learn more
<https://www.popularresistance.org/justice-mondays-at-doj-call-for-investiga
tions/> .