[Peace-discuss] Teachers wary of Illinois' new retiree policies

David Johnson davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 8 14:42:59 UTC 2014

"When it comes to health care, our entire nation would be better served by a simple, unified national health care system, a "Medicare for all" plan, under which health care would be assured from birth to death. We'd save money and lives."

Teachers wary of Illinois' new retiree policies
Diane Horwitz and Rinda West
State Journal-Register
http://www.sj-r.com/article/20131210/OPINION/131219996/2011/OPINION
  President Barack Obama recently cautioned the nation about "a dangerous and growing inequality." As retirees, we feel that state policies are contributing to this worrisome trend.
  Just last week, the Illinois legislature dealt a blow to teachers' and other state employees' retirement benefits.
  We faithfully paid into our retirement plans for 30 years while we were teaching, and now we stand to lose a third of our promised benefits over the next 20 years because the legislature regularly failed to contribute the state's share to our pension fund.
  This assault on retirees comes at the same time we are grappling with critical decisions around health care. Just last month, we learned that the state of Illinois was eliminating our public, nonprofit Medicare coverage and pushing us into Medicare Advantage programs, operated by private health insurance companies.
  We have just until Friday (Dec. 13) to enroll in one of these private plans or completely relinquish our claim to the state benefits we earned over many years.
  Imagine an 80-year-old retiree, who was given only a few weeks to evaluate the state's Medicare Advantage plans; compare these to the option of sticking with traditional Medicare and buying individual Medigap plans; compare prices, deductibles, co-pays and drug costs; and check with her medical providers to see if they are willing to take the new insurance plan.
  In the middle of this process, she learns her pension benefits will be cut!
  We have seen firsthand the confusion, anxiety and anger of many retirees from these cuts and changes. How do such state policies increase income inequality? One of our state senators, Senate President John Cullerton, argued in October that the state's pension debt is not a "crisis" but rather "an issue being pushed by business-backed groups seeking lower income taxes at the expense of retiree benefits," according to the Oct. 21 Chicago Tribune.

  Slashing benefits is an injustice for retirees and current workers. Our pensions are not "gifts." They are part of the wages we earned in a lifetime of work, compensation we were promised contractually. Why should we sacrifice so tax breaks can be given to the likes of Archer Daniels Midland?

  When the General Assembly cut health care benefits for retirees, it precipitated the shift toward Medicare Advantage plans. While touted as a cost-saving measure for Illinois, studies have shown that the move to private Medicare Advantage programs will end up costing taxpayers even more because of the generous subsidies the federal government gives to these private, corporate plans.

  Last May, the General Accountability Office estimated the Medicare program overpaid private insurers by $5.1 billion during the past three years for these Medicare Advantage plans, which are big moneymakers for insurance companies. Humana, for example, derived more than 60 percent of its revenue - $25 billion of $39 billion last year - from Medicare Advantage.
  In contrast, public, non-profit Medicare has very low overhead and is accountable to the public, not to private shareholders wanting to squeeze profits out of our health care.

  In our minds, none of these issues would have arisen if Illinois had an equitable, graduated income tax system and pursued other options for revenue generation, options that would have corporations and the rich "share the sacrifice" along with retirees. For example, we could get rid of our regressive flat tax of 5 percent that both millionaire bankers and fast food workers alike pay.

  When it comes to health care, our entire nation would be better served by a simple, unified national health care system, a "Medicare for all" plan, under which health care would be assured from birth to death. We'd save money and lives.

  Dignity and security are eroding for all of us in our country. It's an especially precarious time for seniors. We need policies that reduce income inequality and provide security for all our citizens.

  Diane Horwitz is a Moraine Valley Community College retiree who lives in Evanston. Rinda West is an Oakton Community College retiree who lives in Chicago.