[Peace-discuss] Last night's debate

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 22 02:06:53 UTC 2014

Here is a link to an audio file of last night’s debate in
Champaign:
http://www.news-gazette.com/audio/2014-02-20/audio-13th-congresional-district-democrat-debate.html
These comments were sent in a letter to the editor to the
News-Gazette:
I want to thank the News-Gazette for its co-sponsorship of
the debate on February 20th.
Ann Callis was selected by national Democratic Party power
brokers to represent this district in Congress. Power brokers in Washington and
Chicago owe their loyalty to corporate CEOs, Wall Street financiers, and the
military-industrial complex. She has been chosen to work for these interests,
and will inevitably be obedient.
Moreover, it is appalling that Callis trumpets her
prosecution of the War on Drugs, which has been a war against African American
communities and the poor.
George Gollin quite straightforwardly asserts that he will
be more loyal to President Obama and the party power brokers than Callis. He
lauded Obama’s recent State of the Union address, which Glen Ford of Black Agenda
Report called “a festival of lies.” I agree with Ford.
Gollin claims that he respects teachers, but by emphasizing
education rather than job creation he implicitly blames educators for what is a
jobs gap, not a skills gap. He claimed during the debate that   many
individuals are unemployed because they are bad at math, and “we can fix that.”
This is nonsense, and brings blaming the victim to a new low. He ought to be
ashamed of himself.
In their campaign speeches Callis and Gollin—wealthy and
privileged individuals—enjoy playing the victim. I offer a clear alternative,
in style and substance. Democratic primary voters have a rare opportunity to
vote to have their own party rather than a party of the 1 percent.
David Green