[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Last night's debate

ya'aQov yaaqovz at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 19:17:00 UTC 2014

Yes, we need an experienced communicator who has a record for having things
done, knowing to reach out to, and work with, adversaries.

David Green --

   - We do NOT need a principled person, a dogmatic person, with no record
   of negotiations with adversaries, no record for getting things done outside
   audiences who agree with you.
   - Righteously telling your adversary (Gollin) (to 'be ashamed of
   himself' is no way of reaching out.
   - Misrepresenting what an adversary said (Callis) shows you have
   mis-listened.

You still have to demonstrate your skills to represent C-U, not only to
profess.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM, David Green <davegreen84 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here is a link to an audio file of last night’s debate in Champaign:
>
> http://www.news-gazette.com/audio/2014-02-20/audio-13th-congresional-district-democrat-debate.html
> These comments were sent in a letter to the editor to the News-Gazette:
> I want to thank the News-Gazette for its co-sponsorship of the debate on
> February 20th.
> Ann Callis was selected by national Democratic Party power brokers to
> represent this district in Congress. Power brokers in Washington and
> Chicago owe their loyalty to corporate CEOs, Wall Street financiers, and
> the military-industrial complex. She has been chosen to work for these
> interests, and will inevitably be obedient.
> Moreover, it is appalling that Callis trumpets her prosecution of the War
> on Drugs, which has been a war against African American communities and the
> poor.
> George Gollin quite straightforwardly asserts that he will be more loyal
> to President Obama and the party power brokers than Callis. He lauded
> Obama’s recent State of the Union address, which Glen Ford of Black Agenda
> Report called “a festival of lies.” I agree with Ford.
> Gollin claims that he respects teachers, but by emphasizing education
> rather than job creation he implicitly blames educators for what is a jobs
> gap, not a skills gap. He claimed during the debate that   many individuals
> are unemployed because they are bad at math, and “we can fix that.” This is
> nonsense, and brings blaming the victim to a new low. He ought to be
> ashamed of himself.
> In their campaign speeches Callis and Gollin—wealthy and privileged
> individuals—enjoy playing the victim. I offer a clear alternative, in style
> and substance. Democratic primary voters have a rare opportunity to vote to
> have their own party rather than a party of the 1 percent.
> David Green

      ya'aQovziso