[Peace-discuss] Fwd: ceasefire for whom?

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Tue Jul 15 22:35:24 EDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	ceasefire for whom?
Date: 	Tue, 15 Jul 2014 20:58:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: 	Cecilie Surasky, Jewish Voice for Peace
<info at jewishvoiceforpeace.org>
To: 	davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dM1xe2bYWkmNljNEkGMPQRoVlQoBI9u8>

*Analysis & Action*

      As the unrelenting attack on Gaza continues, here are some of the
      articles we think help explain the latest developments and
      long-term trends best. Please read and share!

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kHSseaqTGHGd8zWkriktlBoVlQoBI9u8>

/JVP New Yorkers take our message to the streets in solidarity with Gaza/

We also need to act. Join the 40,000 who've signed our Open Letter
telling Israeli leaders to stop killing civilians.

Take Action!
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=f01XV04o21Psf%2BL03P8wuxoVlQoBI9u8>

Facebook
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OXtexh3z6ZWY8dYYcpmOkRoVlQoBI9u8>
Twitter icon
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pLaRbmy536T%2B11D3k%2Bo0thoVlQoBI9u8>
<mailto:Enter+email+address+here?subject=FWD%3A+Check+This+Out&body=I+thought+you+might+be+interested+in+this+message+http%3A%2F%2Fhq-org.salsalabs.com%2FblastContent.jsp%3Femail_blast_KEY%3D1302705>

Dear David,

This morning, we had hoped to wake up to news of a ceasefire.  Instead,
the unrelenting attack on Gaza continues. Over 187 Palestinians and one
Israeli have been killed. 1,300 Palestinians and 15 Israelis injured.

Israel announced this morning that it would accept a unilateral
ceasefire, *but the terms were actually a continuation of Israel’s
ongoing war on civilians*—a continued blockade of Gaza, continued
extrajudicial assassinations, continued imprisonment of Palestinians
without charge, and continued occupation. And with /no guarantee/ Israel
wouldn't violate the agreement as they have on numerous occasions in the
past.

*Three times in the last six years, Israel has conducted extraordinarily
lopsided operations against the people of Gaza*, and each time the
civilian population has paid a major price.  Even with some of the most
sophisticated protection in the world, the fearful experience of rockets
falling on Israel means that Israelis and the world pay attention during
these escalations.

But they largely ignore the fact that the people of Gaza, who have no
protection whatsoever, have been living under an unacceptable state of
siege for the last 7 years. And that the Palestinian people as a whole
remain stateless, and have been living under a brutal military
occupation for 47 years.

We will continue our efforts to respond to the current situation (please
keep up to date _*here*_
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MpMP1ECmShCypoeYdRuIVxoVlQoBI9u8>)
while keeping in mind that when the bombs stop falling, Israel's
decades-long assault on Palestinian human rights will continue.

*We will redouble our efforts to address the long-term causes and
solutions.*

While we monitor the situation, below are a few pieces, mostly from the
last 24 hours, that we have found useful. We hope you will read them and
share them with friends, family, and community.

  * from IMEU: /*_FAQ on Failed Effort to Arrange Ceasefire Between
    Israel and Hamas._
    <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QDHoW47PmTtTeVArFJeyexoVlQoBI9u8>*/
  * from 972mag: /_*What Does Israeli Acceptance of "Ceasefire" Really
    Mean?*_
    <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=7kFEQasXGOJkirWoRpkL6xoVlQoBI9u8>/
  * from Leftern Wall: /_*Facing the Massacre With Eyes Shut*_
    <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=6W3a5re9Sx7%2B4GY1OKhE0xoVlQoBI9u8>
    /
  * from Electronic Intifada: /_*Urgent Call from Gaza Civil Society:
    Act Now *_
    <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GW1%2B6OKRm7D7KZEqCrAuNRoVlQoBI9u8>/
  * //and the /_*Occupy Judaism statement on the possible ceasefire*_/
    <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yKwU45tjvqswwgzfOLy9k88xMQbAHd%2F0>/*
    */

*/*
*/
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Qrxf7P0NJvE2KBv3ERx6IxoVlQoBI9u8>*With
hope for better days ahead,

Cecilie Surasky
Deputy Director

Donate Now!
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=J4YZz8o0WNKunOIGuFvWBRoVlQoBI9u8>

          Contact Info:

Jewish Voice for Peace
1611 Telegraph Ave, Suite 550
Oakland, CA 94612
510.465.1777
info at jewishvoiceforpeace.org <mailto:info at jewishvoiceforpeace.org>

          Connect with Us:

Become a 2014 JVP Member
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RgSdANJPSigriDEX4hH5EhoVlQoBI9u8>
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=G7FgTY2GAywQVCXkAjMZSBoVlQoBI9u8>
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2B64j%2Foz17wYtTd5tPQ9XIxoVlQoBI9u8>
<mailto:Enter+email+address+here?subject=FWD%3A+Check+This+Out&body=I+thought+you+might+be+interested+in+this+message+http%3A%2F%2Fhq-org.salsalabs.com%2FblastContent.jsp%3Femail_blast_KEY%3D1302705>

Subscribe to our blog Muzzlewatch
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OdVTgc83QfUZtxBj0M92CRoVlQoBI9u8>

Unsubscribe
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bzw3aFhiUbQMizmoT3N0uxoVlQoBI9u8>