[Peace-discuss] from Jewish Voice for Peace: Pope Francis knows why the caged bird sings

Stuart Levy via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Jun 1 15:54:02 EDT 2014

A petition from Jewish Voice for Peace, in support of Pope Francis'
prayer in Bethlehem at the Israeli separation wall - an expression of
sympathy for the Palestinians which has already led to backlash.

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jfizaHbtYOaIK2dQyRFD1HpugDlHNqtd>

*Action Alert*

      In Bethlehem, Pope Francis stared injustice in the face, and
      refused to look away.

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=z4gOYW%2FWh0wYMfPyYlgBBnpugDlHNqtd>

/
/

Thank Pope Francis to make sure other people of conscience follow his lead.

Take Action!
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=S2kg97QzEVdMKNJvfa15LHpugDlHNqtd>

Facebook
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Px9IRgk%2FPfCl7pBp%2ByTU6XpugDlHNqtd>
Twitter icon
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=t%2Fw5I2QB%2BwV7B6w0xeiGmHpugDlHNqtd>
<mailto:Enter+email+address+here?subject=FWD%3A+Check+This+Out&body=I+thought+you+might+be+interested+in+this+message+http%3A%2F%2Fhq-org.salsalabs.com%2FblastContent.jsp%3Femail_blast_KEY%3D1299772>

Dear Stuart,

It was, by all accounts, an unscripted moment.

While leaving occupied Bethlehem, Pope Francis asked his driver to stop
next to the giant wall that separates thousands of Palestinians from
their land, their families, and their histories. He touched his forehead
to the concrete, next to the freshly painted words “Free Palestine”, and
bowed silently in prayer.

That simple gesture has produced an image for the ages, bursting with
all the poignancy, humanity, and irony (for we Jews who know the
suffering inflicted by walled ghettos) one can bear.

Now a predictable backlash has begun. Unless we speak out now and thank
Pope Francis for his heartfelt acknowledgement of Palestinian suffering,
the next leader who visits the West Bank will get the message that it is
too dangerous to speak the truth.

*Click here to sign the petition: _ThankYouPopeFrancis.org_
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=80R%2FPNHnBdcR0aFHrXSh3C64LvzOqxiv>*

As Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, atheists and so many others;
as mothers and fathers, daughters and sons; veterans of war and
conscientious objectors; we are united in our love for justice and
liberation for all peoples.

We are profoundly moved by the Pope’s act of solidarity with the
suffering of Palestinians. And we are called to join together, across
faiths, across language, across nationality, to stand for an honest and
painful but necessary accounting of injustice in order to create the
conditions for a lasting peace.

*We want the Pope to hear our thanks. Click here:
_ThankYouPopeFrancis.org_
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9FI13Ax4JW9RWjOQGbIizPc%2BJuUKMn7v>*

Israel says the wall where Pope Francis stood was designed to protect
Israelis from attacks, yet some 85% of the wall’s planned 400 mile route
is on confiscated Palestinian land —not on the Green Line. It enables
the annexation of land for illegal settlements, and separates
Palestinians from their land, teachers and students from schools, and
families from each other.

In the moment Pope Francis stood for all the cameras to see, the wall
became more than a prison wall. It became a message to the outside world
showing clearly the reality that Israel tries to hide.

Young Palestinians who felt long forgotten by much of the world made
this moment happen. They knew the Pope would pass by, and despite all
efforts to stop them, managed to write the message on the wall that
inspired the Pope to pause.

Let us remain inspired by their /sumud/—steadfastness—and let’s make
sure the Pope knows how much his gesture meant to people all over the world.

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5WMAqd2EmAFHBzzfuoaJwHpugDlHNqtd>
	<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4Rv8XmNvWQVdGcrM1CGI%2B3pugDlHNqtd>

Sydney Levy
JVP Advocacy Director

Donate Now!
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2F%2FCgI6qyqbS4omUvFuNRq3pugDlHNqtd>

          Contact Info:

Jewish Voice for Peace
1611 Telegraph Ave, Suite 550
Oakland, CA 94612
510.465.1777
info at jewishvoiceforpeace.org <mailto:info at jewishvoiceforpeace.org>

          Connect with Us:

Become a 2014 JVP Member
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ugRVD3YIkhsao2rwdpKhznpugDlHNqtd>
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ywnMQLZC0XHWxKq2RDajaHpugDlHNqtd>
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=D%2Fr5PdWxbfiAVxyMkFHDIC64LvzOqxiv>
<mailto:Enter+email+address+here?subject=FWD%3A+Check+This+Out&body=I+thought+you+might+be+interested+in+this+message+http%3A%2F%2Fhq-org.salsalabs.com%2FblastContent.jsp%3Femail_blast_KEY%3D1299772>

Subscribe to our blog Muzzlewatch
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CZaj%2BVxITXe1ltbtueDEES64LvzOqxiv>

Unsubscribe
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=JqRkDwKqdWh3G3f1oqKdJ3pugDlHNqtd>