[Peace-discuss] Fw: Informed Comment

Jenifer Cartwright via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Jun 8 14:08:33 EDT 2014

Interesting stuff...

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Informed Comment <jricole at gmail.com>
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, June 6, 2014 3:51 PM
Subject: Informed Comment

Informed Comment

________________________________

	* Can Obama Make good on his Pledge to overturn Citizens United with a Constitutional Amendment?
	* Iran’s Rouhani pulls a Pope Francis: ‘Let People choose own path to Heaven’
	* Does our and Obama’s Paralysis on Global Warming come from American Exceptionalism?
	* On D-Day:  Remembering the Muslim Troops who Fought the Axis
Can Obama Make good on his Pledge to overturn Citizens United with a Constitutional Amendment?
New Book Reveals Obama Told Big Donors He Wants to Repeal Citizens United…and Thinks He Can (via Atlas Left)
In his new book, Ken Vogel claims that President Barack Obama told Democratic donors he believes he is in a good position to pass a constitutional amendment to repeal Citizens United. The book, entitled “Big Money: 2.5 Billion Dollars, One Suspicious…

________________________________

________________________________

——
Related video:
Nevada Senator Harry Reid: “Reid Calls For Constitutional Amendment To Overturn Citizens United”
Iran’s Rouhani pulls a Pope Francis: ‘Let People choose own path to Heaven’
By Golnaz Esfandiari
Twenty-five years after Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini's death, the clerical establishment ushered in by the Islamic republic's founding father is at odds over how far its influence on Iranians' lives should extend.
The debate pits powerful, hard-line religious conservatives against Iran's relatively moderate president, Hassan Rohani. And at the center of the debate is heaven, and the path leading to it.
There are few limits to the Islamic regime's interference in the public and private lives of Iranians, who, among other things, are required to follow a strict dress code dictated by the state.
During a public speech late last month, however, President Rohani called for more freedom and rights for Iranians and less state intervention in their lives. "Let people relax. Let people be mentally healthy. Do not interfere so much in the people's lives even for sympathy," the cleric-president said on May 24. "Let people choose their own path to heaven. We cannot send people to heaven by force or the lash."
The reference to lashing was a not-so-subtle nod to the punishment commonly carried out for drinking, partying, and other violations of Islamic laws over the past three decades.
Critics: Rohani Creating 'Chaos'
The comments came under scrutiny, and shined the light on the issue of the state's role in leading its flock to heaven.
The ultra-hard-line daily "Kayhan" published Rohani's comments with a question mark on its May 25 front page, while describing them as "questionable."
Criticism also came from hard-line clerics, who used their May 30 Friday Prayers sermons as a platform to speak against Rohani.
During Tehran's Friday Prayers, Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami said it was the state's duty to guide people to heaven. "The mission is to smooth the path to heaven, therefore the government is duty bound to pave the way to lead people to heaven," the hard-line cleric said.

Ayatollah Alamolhoda, the Friday Prayer leader of the city of Mashhad, also criticized Rohani in his sermons. "We will stand against all of those preventing people from reaching heaven with all of our force, not only with a whip," he said.

Hojatoleslam Hamid Rohani, the founder of the Islamic Revolution Documentation Center, also blasted Rohani. "Why does the president say no one should be sent to heaven by the lash? The majority of people have voted for the establishment and said that religious rulings should be enforced," the cleric was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

He added that those who speak out against lashing citizens to lead them to heaven are bent on creating "chaos" in the country.

Rohani: Critics 'Deluded'

Hard-liners who control the judiciary and other centers of power believe that giving Iranians more freedom could undermine an establishment that claims to rule the country based on Islamic principles.

In recent weeks they have stepped up their pressure on Rohani, who is firmly rooted in the clerical establishment but is considered more a pragmatist who has pledged to bring about change, and his government.

On May 31, the Iranian president hit back at his opponents with a bit of sarcasm. In a speech at the department of environment, he criticized those who are adverse to change and added that those who constantly worry about religion and the afterlife are delusional.

He recalled that when showers were being introduced in the holy city of Qom and bathhouses were being eliminated some thought a "disaster" was in the making. "Some said that half of the religion was being destroyed," Rohani said, laughing.
WATCH: Hassan Rohani mocks his hard-line critics.
YouTube

"Some people have really nothing to do," he added. "They don't have jobs, they suffer from delusions, they're constantly worrying about religion and people's afterlife, [yet] they have no idea about what religion nor the afterlife is."

"They keep worrying," Rohani said to an applauding audience.

While criticism of the handling of the disputed nuclear program appears to be on the wane, pressure is on the rise against Rohani's social and cultural policies, which include calls for greater access to the Internet and less censorship. There have also been calls for stricter enforcement of the obligatory hijab for women.

The popular website "Fararu" focused on the recent dispute with a report titled, "Criticism Of Rohani Changes Course From 'Geneva' To 'heaven.'" It noted that there had not yet been any reaction to Rohani's latest speech against his critics, but it predicted that the "toughest attacks" are still to come.
Mirrored from RFE/RL
Copyright (c) 2014.RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste 400, Washington DC 20036.
Does our and Obama’s Paralysis on Global Warming come from American Exceptionalism?
By William Espinosa
President Obama’s proposal to modestly curb carbon emissions from power plants is – if carried out—a serious one.  But opposition was immediate, so is there reason to think anything will really change this time?  The warnings have been issued before, the underlying process has been understood for decades, yet at least in the United States, no serious response emerges into action.  And even when climate change and the human contribution are admitted, a curious fatalism sets in— it’s too late, responding is too expensive, India and China won’t join us, it’s God’s business. Is there now reason for hope?
It’s easy to attribute resistance to the manipulations of the Koch brothers and the fossil fuel industry and their ability to scare the nation with images of Godzilla Government and economic collapse.  And to be sure there is uncertainty in any forward projection in a complex system.  But is that really the story?  Is there ambivalence even in Obama’s own proposal?
Climate change is not a new issue. For at least a quarter century we’ve known about the problem with a certainty that would have made any rational person buy insurance.  In the 19th century we knew that the earth’s climate changed and that certain gases absorbed more infrared energy than others. In the early 20th century, Svante Arrhenius, postulated global warming from man-made CO2 emissions over a long term. By the 1970s, a rise in atmospheric CO2 and the Earth’s temperature during the industrial era was documented.
In the 1980s, consensus was forming among climate scientists and governments were warned.  In 1988 UNEP organized a conference calling for action. In 1992, at the UN sponsored Earth Summit, the Framework Convention on Climate Change and a companion agreement on biodiversity were approved.  This in turn led to the Kyoto Protocol which set both binding and voluntary CO2 emissions limits.  But Kyoto was doomed from the start because the US wouldn’t have any part of it.  Twenty years later—and with CO2 concentrations up another 12% over pre-industrial norms– no broad substitute has emerged.
“Cheap” insurance policies have been available and can be easily expanded.  They range from energy conservation, to solar power applications (see a sample list at Informed Comment, 3/22/14), to wind power generation, to cleaner-burning biomass stoves, to name just a few.  They might not solve the whole problem but they would make the risk of a catastrophic climate shift a lot smaller. The mechanisms for economic adjustment aren’t secrets either—education, training, government investments and incentives for alternatives in affected regions and nationally, substitution of a carbon tax for taxes on work.
In the past we’ve had no difficulty responding to serious man-made environmental threats even when industries warned of economic ruin.  During the Reagan era, within ten years of the first alarm about CFC’s, an international convention was put in place to protect the ozone layer.  At the height of the Cold War, with militaries and industries anxious to test “better” nuclear weapons, the major powers stopped atmospheric and underwater nuclear testing to avoid irradiating populations.  Within ten years of Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, DDT use was curtailed, even in the face of predictions of doom. “If man were to faithfully follow the teachings of Miss Carson,” a scientist/executive of the American Cyanamid Company intoned, “We would return to the Dark Ages, and the insects and diseases and vermin would once again inherit the earth.”
Americans relish large challenges. Kennedy and Johnson launched us to the moon—a feat accomplished in eight short years. During WWII over initial business resistance, the “arsenal of democracy” grew up in three brief years.  When three thousand people were killed on 9/11, the United States launched two wars and spent more than four trillion dollars to counter the threat.  Climate change threatens the wellbeing of hundreds of millions including Americans. Even the military has recognized the danger for years. Yet no concerted response is put forward, no national agenda emerges.
Why? The problem, I would suggest, goes deeper than the fossil fuel industry or the dysfunction of American politics. The phenomenon of climate change, I believe, challenges some core collective beliefs, provoking deeper anxieties. Consciously and unconsciously, fear drags on our intentions and clouds our thinking. “Fear is the mind-killer,” the Bene-Gesserit warned in Dune.  To name a few now-in-doubt precepts:
1. Nations are sovereign within their borders.
2. The United States is an exceptional nation that can always prevail.
3.  The US way of life is benign and benefits the world.
4. Consumption is the measure of economic growth and health.
5. God gave humans natural resources for enterprising individuals to exploit.
Frontier values and opportunities still endure.
At least on Earth, climate change threatens to make this last forever untrue and nine billion people can’t become American-type consumers. The United States can’t solve the climate problem at the nation-state level. Our activities have caused harm way beyond our borders and we need everyone’s help—even those whom we have harmed.  “We are all Bangladeshi’s now,” as someone memorably put it.
Ever since we became farmers and village/city dwellers, our values have formed around the notion that it was for humans to tame nature. “That quantum leap beguiled us with an illusion of freedom from the world that had given us birth,” E.O. Wilson wrote, watching waves of extinctions and pleading for change.   The mystic Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee offers another perspective.  The outer threat reflects an inner state of selfishness and greed. Moreover, the ecological challenge was an opening for humankind to make an evolutionary leap. But, Vaughan-Lee contends, we missed the opportunity to manifest a consciousness of unity (with humans, with nature) and now the end of the West is coming.
I don’t believe the apocalypse is here but I do believe that the challenge is deep and that more scientific studies aren’t going to change much. What is needed is a collective change of perception and heart.  Solutions can’t be buried in regulatory techno-jargon or disingenuously offered up, as President Obama just did, as a response to child asthma. If the effort is serious, the fate of coal miners can’t be ignored (cf. Obama’s speech). US trade negotiators can’t be promoting dirty oil and unfettered fracking rights at the same time.