[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] News from Neptune on UPTV for 6 June 2014

David Green via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Mon Jun 9 14:00:19 EDT 2014

In May of 2002 I invited a member of Yesh G'Vul, Israeli dissident soldiers, Ram Rahat to Champaign to speak to a few groups. His visit was co-sponsored by AWARE. He spoke to decent audiences at Café Paradiso, the IDF (no pun intended), and at my home. I took the trouble to pick him up and drop him off in Chicago.

I tried to have him speak at Sinai Temple, but that was disallowed because of the lack of a "speakers' policy." He did speak to a few of my fellow congregants at that time at my home.

A year or to later I also hosted an Israeli/American journalist named Emily Hauser, who professes moderately dissenting views. She spoke at Channing Murray and at an AWARE meeting. She also spoke at Sinai Temple, under the radar of the Rabbi who was out of town.

Ram Rahat ( and his wife Michaela were very involved in the West Bank protests at that time.

In 2001 I attended a conference in Chicago, sponsored by Not In My Name (now JVP) that was spoken to by several Israeli dissidents, including Jeff Halper and Rela Mazali (New Profile). They have never been invited to Champaign.

For the past decade, I don't recall any opportunities to hear Israeli dissidents in CU. During that period, the Israel Studies Project  on campus has invited at least 20 non-dissident Israelis--all Jews, excluding Palestinians--under the auspices of the Program for Jewish Culture and Society. They also have for several years sponsored an Israeli scholar in residence, Rhona Seidelman, also Canadian, whose approach has been to sanitize the unequal power relations that are inherent in this conflict. She articulated such views at the AAUP panel on May 13.

I would be happy to participate in a panel that would include Seidelman, Ziso, and whatever other sort of Israeli dissident who might be available. My requirement would be that such an event would have to be co-sponsored by PJCS and Hillel, as well as AWARE and SJP.

DG