[Peace-discuss] calling lefty geeks: help me test QR code for Illinois anti-anti-boycott petition

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Mar 10 17:30:42 UTC 2014

Background: the world has changed, right? We do online petitions now. It's
more efficient on both sides of the interaction - easier to pass, easier to
sign; you don't have to mess around with re-copying or trying to read
people's illegible handwriting (speaking as a top offender of illegible
handwriting); if you sign on your own device, you probably have your own
information already saved in your browser, which makes signing go
tschik-tschok, as they say in Hebrew.

OK, but you still want to pass petitions at events. Does that mean you have
to go back to pen and paper?

You know how when you ride the Amtrak, and sometimes on planes, they use QR
codes, so you don't need a paper ticket. You just hold up your smart phone
showing your electronic ticket with the QR code on it and the conductor
uses a QR reader to capture the information from your electronic ticket's
QR code.

We can use this technology for online petitions. You generate a QR code for
the website that has the petition on it, you point a smart phone (or
laptop's) camera at it, and after the image is captured, the smartphone
jumps to the URL of the petition site, where you can sign the petition on
your smartphone.

The smartphone or laptop has to have a QR reader installed. But you can
easily download QR readers for free. On my iPhone, I have the QRReader app.

So, with background concluded, here is the ask. I'm going to try to get
signers on the anti-anti-boycott petition at Rabbi Rosen's talk tonight,
using a QR code we have generated.

Two ways you can help me test:

1. Having installed a QR reader on your smartphone, point your smartphone
at this image:

 [image: QRCode]

that should take your smartphone to the URL for the Illinois petition.
Indicate in the comments if you were able to get this to work.

2. If you're coming to the talk tonight, bring your smartphone (or laptop
with camera) with a QR reader installed, ready to sign the Illinois
petition.

Coming attractions: New York and Maryland.

P.S. If you can't see the image in this email, a version of this note can
be found here:

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/node/1497

--
Robert Naiman