[Peace-discuss] St. Patricks Day message

David Johnson davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 16 15:44:38 UTC 2014

Note - The word " Republican " has a totally different meaning and historical context than how it is used and what it is in the U.S.. In the U,S., a Republican is more often than not a neo-fascist, racist reactionary.

In Europe it refers to ( especially in Ireland ) to those who believe in absolute democracy and an end to discrimination and exploitation - a complete opposite oif what a U.S. Republican is.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

I know. Officially it is on Monday.

But they are dyeing the Chicago River green today.

And the Chicago downtown parade is today.

And the kids will be falling down drunk in Wrigleyville tonight.

Which reminds me of Bernadette Devlin.

No, no. Not the drunk part. St. Patricks Day.

Devlin, elected in 1969, was and remains the youngest person ever elected to the British Parliament. And she was a militant Irish Republican.

The year she was elected she came and toured the United States, including a stop in Los Angeles.

I went to hear her speak to a crowd of many thousands, mostly Irish Catholics, in LA's McArthur Park.

What was most impressive to me was that when Devlin spoke that night, it was mostly about racism and discrimination against African-Americans in the United States, an issue not entirely close to the hearts of her audience.

It was awkward at first. But the crowd could not help but be charmed by her and they soon warmed to her message.

When she visited New York, she was given the keys to the city, which she immediately handed over to the Black Panther Party.

I remember reading a few years later how, while serving as a member of Parliament, she strode across the floor of the House of Commons to punch Reginald ­Maudling in the face. Maudling was home secretary of the Conservative ­government. His mistake had been to suggest that the ­British army had fired only in self-­defence on Bloody Sunday when they shot dead 13 civil rights ­protesters.

"Rebellious, awkward and ­contrary" is how Devlin was once described.

Howard Zinn reportedly once said that to dissent is the highest form of patriotism. I would say that as a union member, to dissent from leadership positions that you feel are wrong is the highest form of loyalty to the union.

Where there is 100% agreement there is no democracy.

If you're celebrating St. Patrick's Day today, or on Monday, or all weekend - hoist at least one Guiness to Bernadette Devlin (who is still very much alive and active I hear).

And hoist another to our right to dissent.

Fred Klonsky