[Peace-discuss] Terrorism, Chris Kennedy, etc.

David Green via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun May 11 14:15:09 EDT 2014

(This letter was in the NG in November 2011, in the wake of the Bill Ayers "controversy." A correction is that Lumumba was killed under Eisenhhower's watch.)

This letter responds to recent controversies involving Bill
Ayers, Chris Kennedy (son of Robert), Fidel Castro, and the “Black Ops” video
game.
The Kennedy brothers, John and Robert, had a lot of people murdered
during their time in power from 1961-63, from Latin America to Africa (Lumumba)
to Southeast Asia, all justified by “anti-Communism,” referring to any national
political program that was deemed a threat to American “interests.”
Fidel Castro’s program for Cuba was clearly one of those. In
2001, journalist David Corn wrote (http://www.thenation.com/article/old-man-and-cia-kennedy-plot-kill-castro)
that in spite of the unwillingness of the Kennedy family to release thousands
of documents, at least one Pentagon memorandum shows that “Jack and Bobby discussed and sanctioned the
development of a possible assassination attempt against Fidel Castro during a (March)
1962 meeting in the Oval Office.”
Ironically it was
the Kennedys who were assassinated, while Castro lives on. In spite of hostile
U.S. policies, life is far better for the average Cuban than it would have been
under America’s corporate thumb for the past 50 years. Meanwhile, none of our dire
economic and political problems can be plausibly attributed to Cuba’s behavior;
all can certainly be attributed to our own.
Nevertheless, it
is with righteous seriousness that Ayers is denied emeritus status by UI
trustee Kennedy, and that columnist Leonard Pitts excoriates Castro for the
latter’s displeasure at a game that tests the skill of an American child to
virtually assassinate him. Castro, Pitts explains, doesn’t understand our “freedom,”
and is a “murderous thug.”