[Peace-discuss] ,Michael Brown's Parents Seek Justice at UN

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Nov 13 12:05:21 EST 2014

News <http://www.telesurtv.net/english/section/news> > World
<http://www.telesurtv.net/SubSecciones/en/news/world/>

  Michael Brown's Parents Seek Justice at UN

A voter wears a button with the image of Michael Brown, the unarmed
black teenager killed by a white police officer. (Photo:Reuters)

    A voter wears a button with the image of Michael Brown, the unarmed
    black teenager killed by a white police officer. (Photo:Reuters)

Published 13 November 2014
Share on facebook
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Michael-Browns-Parents-Seek-Justice-at-UN-20141113-0019.html#>
Share on twitter
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Michael-Browns-Parents-Seek-Justice-at-UN-20141113-0019.html#>
Share on google_plusone_share
<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=300&winname=addthis&pub=ra-4f2d726c065de481&source=tbx-300&lng=en-US&s=google_plusone_share&url=www.telesurtv.net%2Fenglish%2Fnews%2FMichael-Browns-Parents-Seek-Justice-at-UN-20141113-0019.html&title=Michael%20Brown&ate=AT-ra-4f2d726c065de481/-/-/5464e44f4d8acfb2/2&frommenu=1&uid=5464e44fe6cfcc4b&ct=0&tt=0&captcha_provider=nucaptcha>
Share on email
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Michael-Browns-Parents-Seek-Justice-at-UN-20141113-0019.html#>

With a grand jury decision imminent in the Michael Brown case, his
parents continue to seek international pressure on the U.S. government
to bring his killer to justice.

The parents of Michael Brown, the black teenager killed by a police
officer in August, have traveled to Geneva, to seek justice at the U.N.
for their son.

In a news conference on Wednesday the father of Brown said, "Me and his
mother have come to the U.N. to get redress for our son ... There
couldn't be a better place to do that." Darryl Parks, the lawyer for the
family said, "The Brown family continue to call for non-violence. They
continue to feel the Grand Jury will do the right thing."

In a private meeting with the U.N. Committee on Torture, the Browns
asked for the U.N. to continue its pressure on the U.S. government over
the killing of their son.

The prosecutor's office has said that a grand jury decision as to
whether or not to bring criminal charges against the police officer,
Darren Wilson, who killed Brown, could come in mid-November. There have
been leaks in the media of the grand jury evidence that have led to
fears that Wilson will not be indicted.

About 1,000 police officers have been in training in anticipation of the
grand jury decision and the ensuing protests. The U.S. National Guard is
also preparing to be present in Ferguson. The St. Louis police
department has spent more than $100,000 on weapons and other gear since
Michael Brown was killed by Wilson.

Charlie Dooley, the St. Louis county executive said at a press
conference, "The tensions and the emotions are running high, but we will
get through this ... We have some of the most challenging days ahead of
us. The main reason we are here is to tell everybody take a deep breath,
stand back, and calm down."

The town of Ferguson was catapulted to international attention, when
weeks-long protests erupted in the St. Louis suburb after police officer
Wilson shot to death an unarmed Black teenager, Michael Brown.