[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Karl Rove's Social Security Trap

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Nov 13 13:08:44 EST 2014

SocialSecurityWorks.org

David,

In last week's election, we saw the way Karl Rove's big money front
group used Democrats' support of the Social Security-cutting
Bowles-Simpson plan as a cudgel against Democrats who stood for nothing.
Crossroads GPS ran ads in crucial states that muddied the water about
who really wants to cut Social Security. He attacked Democrats for
compromising on cuts to earned benefits which were agreed to to appease
the Republicans and appear "sensible." *As Social Security Works'
co-founders Nancy Altman and Eric Kingson say in their election analysis:

* /“There is nothing ‘centrist’ about cutting Social Security. There is
no large segment of the US population for which cutting Social Security
is popular, left, center or right. As a recent write-up of a Pew survey
on increasing polarization in America put it, “Americans are divided on
everything, except their love of Social Security.”
/ *
Now more than ever we need to raise our voices and demand that now is
the time to Expand Social Security.
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RUGDouYoWnCYkfeskKoTJs35A70k9MmD>*

Thank you for keeping up the fight.

Alex Lawson
Executive Director
Social Security Works

*p.s., to read more about the case for expanding Social Security, click
here to pre-order Social Security Works! by Nancy Altman and Eric
Kingson
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=D%2FHUTHBYgBq3pV2nIGrTF2HzEgh4KQsG>*

	Social Security Works
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Iw3YacMldPTWe48%2FgDBvpM35A70k9MmD>

David,

Democrats have historically been the party of Social Security and
champions of the Middle Class—so what happened last Tuesday?

Social Security Works’ founding co-directors Nancy Altman and Eric
Kingson recently published an important analysis of the election and a
rallying call for the American people to fight for big ideas, to create
the country we want to live in, and to fight to expand Social Security.
They said:

/Too much of the national Democratic brand has been, in President
Truman's words, "a Republican in Democratic clothing" on the vital issue
of the future of Social Security. Cheered on by the Third Way, Fix The
Debt, and other Wall Street-funded lobbying organizations, as well as
the Washington Post and other elite media, many Democrats followed the
leadership of the Administration, casting their lot with false-centrist
Republican-lite policies and rhetoric regarding Social Security.

/

*Now more than ever we need to raise our voices and demand action to
Expand Social Security.
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Met8qdokI8WU2rNazhl9Ps35A70k9MmD>*

In an interview with Social Security Works’ Alex Lawson on the morning
of the election, *Senator Bernie Sanders said:

*

/Half of the families in our country today have less than $10,000 in the
bank. And if you’re thinking of retiring with a shred of dignity, you
know that Social Security needs to be strengthened and you know it needs
to be expanded.

What our strategy should be is to get on the offensive and say, “of
course we’re not going to cut Social Security, but our goal is to expand
Social Security and there are very simple ways we can do that.”

/

Our work continues. We now face a Republican-led Congress with
leadership who have repeatedly stated their desire to cut Social
Security. They will wilt away only in the face of united and fierce
opposition from the American people. So what we have to do now is very
clear: turn up the volume and make sure they hear us loud and clear,
*Expand Social Security Now!*

Thank you,
Michael Phelan
Social Security Works

*p.s., to read more about the case for expanding Social Security, click
here to pre-order Social Security Works! by Nancy Altman and Eric
Kingson
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hPdV3Ipha5EHEVf6T5hHfc35A70k9MmD>*

Homepage
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Xv%2FB7ocelLkAf2nASl%2BQIs35A70k9MmD>
You have received this email through your subscription to this
campaign's email list.

If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to receive email
updates unsubscribe here
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=j9JW6gShVYikljf5nf%2BNf835A70k9MmD>.

Paid for and Authorized by Social Security Works

empowered by Salsa <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>