[Peace-discuss] Coalition urges Sen. Mark Udall to read CIA torture report into Congressional Record

Robert Naiman via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Nov 19 16:53:10 EST 2014

Here are the groups:

Blue America
CREDO
Daily Kos
Demand Progress
Digby's Hullabaloo
Fight for the Future
Just Foreign Policy
The Nation
RH Reality Check
RootsAction.org
USaction
Win Without War

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Subject: A unique chance to make the CIA torture report public
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

 [image: Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2FuogJ5ETZaYqhARPe%2B4sH0T0OHzx3Uu2>

Dear Robert,
 Urge Sen. Mark Udall to enter the CIA torture report into the
Congressional Record.

Sign the petition
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gMuLFELt79plSz3197wkYET0OHzx3Uu2>

Seven months after the Senate Intelligence Committee voted to publish their
report on the CIA’s use torture on prisoners, the White House—acting at the
behest of the CIA—is stonewalling Congress and demanding extensive
redactions before making the report’s contents public. Transparency
advocates say that if the CIA gets its way, the redactions would be so
extensive that the report would be effectively undermined as a tool for
educating the public on what the Senate Intelligence Committee uncovered
about the CIA’s use of torture and how the CIA tried to cover up its
crimes.

*But there’s a clear path around the CIA’s obstruction—and right now we
have an unusual chance to make it happen.*

Members of Congress have an absolute right to free speech in their official
duties under the Constitution’s “Speech and Debate Clause.” Any Member
could enter the report into the Congressional Record in its entirety—just
as the Pentagon Papers were in 1971—without fear of prosecution.

Outgoing Senator Mark Udall (D-CO) has said that “nothing is off the table”
in efforts to bring the torture report into public view. That’s why a
coalition of groups, including Daily Kos, Win Without War, and Just Foreign
Policy, are organizing a joint appeal to Senator Udall to finally make the
CIA torture report public.

*Sign our petition to Sen. Udall calling upon him to enter the torture
report into the Congressional Record.*

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/Udall-CIA-torture-report
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=A%2Bl5shrsr%2BLmkYZFR6WCkIuISak3e%2FO4>

Thanks for all you do to help hold U.S. foreign policy accountable to the
rule of law,

Robert Naiman and Megan Iorio
Just Foreign Policy

*Help us meet our November fundraising goal—make a $15 tax-deductible
contribution today!*
If you can afford to make a donation this month, please do!
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pdmDJQoLZ9U3VHBtVNSs%2BUT0OHzx3Uu2>

  [image: Please support our work. Donate for a Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KDkQZXNEvErg38a7m0%2BYzET0OHzx3Uu2>

 © 2014 Just Foreign Policy