[Peace-discuss] Corey Robin on "incendiary or extreme rhetoric"; UIUC Jews against Salaita firing

Robert Naiman via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Sep 4 09:05:26 EDT 2014

Corey Robin indirectly raises the question of whether Thomas Jefferson
could maintain employment at the University of Illinois, given his penchant
for "incendiary or extreme rhetoric." Also, for those of you who are Jewish
and sign petitions, he links to a UIUC Jewish petition against the firing;
"alumni" is one of the welcomed categories of signatories.

http://coreyrobin.com/2014/09/03/more-votes-of-no-confidence-a-weird-ad-and-a-declaration-of-a-non-emergency/

[...]

New Rules: no incendiary or extreme rhetoric. Like this
<http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html>:

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and
destroyed the lives of our people. He is at this time transporting large
Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation
and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely
paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a
civilized nation.

(The author of those words, by the way, founded a university
<http://www.virginia.edu/uvatours/shorthistory/>. And one of thesignatories
to those words was the president of a university
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Witherspoon>. Autres temps.)
[...]

===

Robert Naiman