[Peace-discuss] [Peace] AWARE ON THE AIR for Tuesday 9/9 - CANCELED

C. G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Sep 10 13:16:04 EDT 2014

Are you saying I'm uncivil, Ya'aQov?  That seems to be the fashion in C-U.

I was taught as a youth that a gentlemen was never unintentionally rude...

It's surely a forced comparison, if only on the matter of scale, to say that "Qatar has been to Hamas exactly what US  has been to Israel."

Qatar's sympathy and support for movements associated with the Muslim Brotherhood have now been rather effectively estopped by Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Over its quarter-century history, Hamas has probably received more effective support from Israel (to make it a religious alternative to Fatah) than from Qatar.

I write that "Israeli hasbara" is a redundancy because we do not often speak of e.g. "Scottish hasbara." (If we used the latter phrase, we might mean, "Israeli propaganda in a Scottish context.")

Here's some cut-and-paste from Chomsky on why Israel allowed Qatar to "build and pay [for] tunnels," insofar as they did:

"...Israeli experts have calculated in detail exactly how many calories, literally, Gazans need to survive. And if you look at the sanctions that they impose, they’re grotesque. I mean, even John Kerry condemned them bitterly. They’re sadistic. Just enough calories to survive. And, of course, it is partly metaphoric, because it means just enough material coming in through the tunnels so that they don’t totally die. Israel restricts medicines, but you have to allow a little trickle in. When I was there right before the November 2012 assault, visited the Khan Younis hospital, and the director showed us that they don’t even have simple medicines, but they have something. And the same is true with all aspects of it. Keep them on a diet, literally. And the reason is very simple, and they pretty much said it: "If they die, it’s not going to look good for Israel. We may claim that we’re not the occupying power, but the rest of the world doesn’t agree. Even the United States doesn’t agree. We are the occupying power. And if we kill off the population under occupation, not going to look good." It’s not the 19th century, when, as the U.S. expanded over what’s its national territory, it pretty much exterminated the indigenous population. Well, by 19th century’s imperial standards, that was unproblematic. This is a little different today. You can’t exterminate the population in the territories that you occupy. That’s the dovish position, Weissglas. The hawkish position is Eiland, which you quoted: Let’s just kill them off."

(Does the comparison suggest the damage a professor of indigenous studies might do to the hasbara?)