[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: [vfp-all] How the People’s Climate March Became a Corporate PR Campaign

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sat Sep 20 20:23:24 EDT 2014

Here you go Earl,

This answers the question I asked you about USLAW doing this climate
March and asking why they are doing it, as if there is no reason to
continue anti-war activities.

David J.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/09/19/how-the-peoples-climate-march-became-a-corporate-pr-campaign/

Business as Usual in Manhattan
*How the People’s Climate March Became a Corporate PR Campaign*
by ARUN GUPTA

I’ve never been to a protest march that advertised in the New York City
subway. That spent $220,000 on posters inviting Wall Street bankers to
join a march to save the planet, according to one source. That claims
you can change world history in an afternoon after walking the dog and
eating brunch.

Welcome to the "People’s Climate March" set for Sunday, Sept. 21 in New
York City. It’s timed to take place before world leaders hold a Climate
Summit at the United Nations two days later. Organizers are billing it
as the "biggest climate change demonstration ever" with similar marches
around the world. The Nation describes the pre-organizing as following
"a participatory, open-source model that recalls the Occupy Wall Street
protests." A leader of 350.org, one of the main organizing groups,
explained, "Anyone can contribute, and many of our online organizing
‘hubs’ are led by volunteers who are often coordinating hundreds of
other volunteers."

I will join the march, as well as the Climate Convergence starting
Friday, and most important the "Flood Wall Street" direct action on
Monday, Sept. 22. I’ve had conversations with more than a dozen
organizers including senior staff at the organizing groups. Many people
are genuinely excited about the Sunday demonstration. The movement is
radicalizing thousands of youth. Endorsers include some labor unions and
many people-of-color community organizations that normally sit out
environmental activism because the mainstream green movement has often
done a poor job of talking about the impact on or solutions for workers
and the Global South.

Nonetheless, to quote Han Solo, "I’ve got a bad feeling about this."

Environmental activist Anne Petermann and writer Quincy Saul describe
how the People’s Climate March has no demands, no targets,and no enemy.
Organizers admitted encouraging bankers to march was like saying
Blackwater mercenaries should join an antiwar protest. There is no unity
other than money. One veteran activist who was involved in Occupy Wall
Street said it was made known there was plenty of money to hire her and
others. There is no sense of history: decades of climate-justice
activism are being erased by the incessant invocation of the "biggest
climate change demonstration ever." Investigative reporter Cory
Morningstar has connected the dots between the organizing groups,
350.org and Avaaz, the global online activist outfit modeled on MoveOn,
and institutions like the World Bank and Clinton Global Initiative.
Morningstar claims the secret of Avaaz’s success is its "expertise in
behavioral change."

That is what I find most troubling. Having worked on Madison Avenue for
nearly a decade, I can smell a P.R. and marketing campaign a mile away.
That’s what the People’s Climate March looks to be. According to inside
sources a push early on for a Seattle-style event—organizing thousands
of people to nonviolently shut down the area around the United
Nations—was thwarted by paid staff with the organizing groups.

One participant in the organizing meetings said, "In the beginning
people were saying, ‘This is our Seattle,’" referring to the 1999 World
Trade Organization ministerial that was derailed by direct action. But
the paid staff got the politics-free Climate March. Another source said,
"You wouldn’t see Avaaz promoting an occupy-style action. The strategic
decision was made to have a big march and get as many mainstream groups
on board as possible."

Nothing wrong with that. Not every tactic should be based on Occupy. But
in an email about climate change that Avaaz sent out last December,
which apparently raked in millions of dollars, it wrote, "It’s time for
powerful, direct, non-violent action, to capture imagination, convey
moral urgency, and inspire people to act. Think Occupy."

Here’s what seems to be going on. Avaaz found a lucrative revenue stream
by warning about climate catastrophe that can be solved with the click
of a donate button. To convince people to donate it says we need
Occupy-style actions. When the moment comes for such a protest, Avaaz
and 350.orgblocked it and then when it did get organized, they pushed it
out of sight. If you go to People’s Climate March, you won’t find any
mention of the Flood Wall Street action, which I fully support, but fear
is being organized with too little time and resources. Nor have I seen
it in an Avaaz email, nor has anyone else I’ve talked to. Bill McKibben
of 350.org began promoting it this week, but that may be because there
is discontent in the activist ranks about the march, which includes lots
of Occupy Wall Street activists. One inside source said, "It’s a
branding decision not to promote the Flood Wall Street action. These are
not radical organizations."

Branding. That’s how the climate crisis is going to be solved. We are in
an era or postmodern social movements.

The image (not ideology) comes first and shapes the reality. The P.R.
and marketing determines the tactics, the messaging, the organizing, and
the strategy. Whether this can have a positive effect is a different
question, and it’s why I encourage everyone to participate. The future
is unknowable. But left to their own devices the organizers will lead
the movement into the graveyard of the Democratic Party, just as
happened with the movement against the Iraq War a decade ago. You
remember that historic worldwide movement, right? It was so profound the
New York Times dubbed global public opinion, "the second superpower."
Now Obama has launched an eighth war and there is no antiwar movement to
speak of.

Sources say Avaaz and 350.org is footing most of the bill for the
People’s Climate March with millions of dollars spent. Avaaz is said to
have committed a dozen full-time staff, and hired dozens of other
canvassers to collect petition signatures and hand out flyers. Nearly
all of 350.org’s staff is working on climate marches around the country
and there is an office in New York with thirty full-time workers
organizing the march. That takes a lot of cheddar. While the grassroots
are being mobilized, this is not a grassroots movement. That’s why it’s
a mistake to condemn it. People are joining out of genuine concern and
passion and hope for an equitable, sustainable world, but the control is
top down and behind closed doors. Everyone I talked to described an
undemocratic process. Even staffers were not sure who was making the
decisions other than to tell me to follow the money. It’s also facile to
say all groups are alike. Avaaz is more cautious than 350.org, and
apparently the New York chapter of 350.org, which is more radical, is at
odds with the national.

But when the overriding demand is for numbers, which is about visuals,
which is about P.R. and marketing, everything becomes lowest common
denominator. The lack of politics is a political decision. One insider
admitted despite all the overheated rhetoric about the future is on the
line, "I don’t expect much out of this U.N. process." The source added
this is "a media moment, a mobilizing moment." The goal is to have
visuals of a diverse crowd, hence the old saw about a "family-friendly"
march. Family friendly comes at a high cost, however. Everything is
decided by the need for visuals, which means organizers will capitulate
to anything the NYPD demands for fear of violence. The march is on a
Sunday morning when the city is in hangover mode. The world leaders will
not even be at the United Nations, and they are just the hired guns of
the real climate criminals on Wall Street. The closest the march comes
to the United Nations is almost a mile away. The march winds up on
Eleventh Avenue, a no-man’s land far from subways. There is no closing
rally or speakers.

An insider says the real goal was to create space for politicians: "If
you can frame it as grandma and kids and immigrants and labor you could
make it safer for politicians to come out and support. It’s all very
liberal. I don’t have much faith in it."

When I asked what the metrics for success for, the insider told me media
coverage and long-term polling about public opinion. I was dumbfounded.
That’s the exact same tools we would use in huge marketing campaigns.
First we would estimate and tally media "impressions" across all
digital, print, outdoor, and so on. Then a few months down the road we
would conduct surveys to see if we changed the consumer’s opinion of the
brand, their favorability, the qualities they associated with it, the
likelihood they would try. That’s the same tools Avaaz is allegedly using.

Avaaz has pioneered clickbait activism. It gets people to sign petitions
about dramatic but ultimately minor issues like, "Prevent the flogging
of 15 year old rape victim in Maldives." The operating method of Avaaz,
which was established in 2007, is to create "actions" like these that
generate emails for its fundraising operation. In other words, it’s a
corporation with a business model to create products (the actions), that
help it increase market share (emails), and ultimately revenue. The
actions that get the most attention are ones that get the most petition
signers, the most media coverage, and which help generate
revenue.begging slogans6

Avaaz has turned social justice into a product to enhance the liberal
do-gooding lifestyle, and it’s set its sights on the climate justice
movement.

The more dramatic the emails the better the response. It’s like the
supermarket. The bags and boxes don’t say, "Not bad," or "kinda tasty."
They say "the cheesiest," "the most delicious," "an avalanche of
flavor," "utterly irresistible." That’s why climate change polls so well
for Avaaz. It’s really fucking dramatic. But it’s still not dramatic
enough for marketing purposes.

One source said the December 2013 email from Avaaz Executive Director
Ricken Patel about climate change was a goldmine. It was headlined, "24
Months to Save the World." It begins, "This may be the most important
email I’ve ever written to you," and then says the climate crisis is
"beyond our worst expectations" with storms and temperatures "off the
charts." Then comes the hook from Patel, "We CAN stop this, if we act
very fast, and all together. And out of this extinction nightmare, we
can pull one of the most inspiring futures for our children and
grandchildren. A clean, green future in balance with the earth that gave
birth to us."

Telling people there is 24 months to save the world is odious, as is
implying an online donation to Avaaz can save the planet.

The same overblown rhetoric is being used for the People’s Climate
March: It’s the biggest ever. There is "unprecedented collaboration"
with more than 1,400 "partner" groups in New York City. Everything comes
down to this one day with the "future on the line and the whole world
watching, we’ll take a stand to bend the course of history."

Presumably the orderly marchers behind NYPD barricades will convince the
governments of the world that will meet for the Climate Summit that
won’t even meet for another two days that they need to pass UN
Secretary­ General Ban Ki-­moon’s "ambitious global agreement to
dramatically reduce global warming pollution."

Moon is now joining the march. But it’s hard to find details, including
on the Climate Summit website, as to what will actually be discussed
there. The best account I could find is by Canadian journalist Nick
Fillmore. He claims the main point will be a carbon pricing scheme. This
is one of those corporate-designed scams that in the past has rewarded
the worst polluters with the most credits to sell and creates perverse
incentives to pollute, because then they can earn money to cut those
emissions.

So we have a corporate-designed protest march to support a
corporate-dominated world body to implement a corporate policy to
counter climate change caused by the corporations of the world, which
are located just a few miles away but which will never feel the wrath of
the People’s Climate March.

Rather than moaning on the sidelines and venting on Facebook, radicals
need to be in the streets. Join the marches and more important the
direct actions. Radicals need to ask the difficult questions as to why
for the second time in fifteen years has a militant uprising, first
Seattle and then Occupy, given way to liberal cooptation. What good is
your radical analysis if the NGO sector and Democratic Party fronts kept
out-organizing you?

Naomi Klein says we need to end business as usual because climate change
is going to change everything. She’s right. Unfortunately the organizers
of the People’s Climate March didn’t get the memo. Because they are
continuing on with business as usual that won’t change anything.

One prominent environmental organizer says that after the march ends,
"The U.N. leaders are going to be in there Monday and Tuesday and do
whatever the fuck they want. And everyone will go back to their lives,
walking the dog and eating brunch."

The future is unwritten. It’s not about what happens on Sunday. It’s
what happens after that.

Arun Gupta contributes to outlets including Al Jazeera America, Vice,
The Progressive, The Guardian, and In These Times.

Posted by: david sladky <spotshere at hotmail.com
<mailto:spotshere at hotmail.com>>

• Privacy <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html>
• Unsubscribe