[Peace-discuss] Why UIUC is not successfully policing the limits of allowable debate

David Green via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Sep 21 15:07:32 EDT 2014

Dey provides plenty of evidence to discount his thesis that those defending Salaita display a "paranoid style." It would seem that the shoe is on the other foot, given the McCarthyite nature of the proceedings. Hofstadter's PS thesis was a way of discounting the centrality of class conflict with the red herring of "status anxiety" from Populism to McCarthy. Liberal arts faculty may suffer from some of that, but they need to realize the valid class/neoliberal roots of their affliction.

DG