[Peace-discuss] 7:30pm Monday, Gregory 223 -- Research Presentation on the News Gazette’s Coverage of Race and Crime

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 11:32:58 EST 2015

From Scott Althaus -- "I’d like to invite you (and anyone else who might
be interested) to attend a presentation and discussion about new
research on the race and gender of crime suspects appearing in newspaper
coverage about Champaign County."

He writes:

    This fall I have been teaching a Junior Honors Seminar for the U of
    I’s Political Science department that provides a team of
    undergraduate students with an immersion experience in social
    science research. Our class project this semester has been a
    systematic analysis of the News Gazette’s coverage of crime that
    examines the race and gender of suspects reported in the news over a
    three-month period in 2015. *We compare the News Gazette’s crime
    coverage to the race and gender of suspects recorded in arrest data
    from major law enforcement agencies in Champaign County and in jail
    bookings data compiled by the Champaign County Sheriff’s Department.
    Our study examines both the news stories and the photographs that
    accompany them. *

    We feel that this study could make a significant contribution to
    local conversations about racial justice issues in our community,
    and so I want to invite you (and anyone else who might be
    interested) to attend a public presentation by our research team on
    *Monday, December 14, at 7:30pm in Room 223 of Gregory Hall* on the
    University of Illinois campus (Gregory Hall is located on the
    southwest corner of the Quad at 810 South Wright Street, Urbana). We
    will be reviewing the main findings of the study and engaging in
    dialogue with those in attendance about what these findings might
    mean for the Champaign-Urbana community. Following the presentation,
    copies of the study report as well as the data sets compiled for
    this research project will be made available for public distribution.

    If you come, please be aware that Gregory Hall will be used for
    final exams on Monday night. Please try to walk through the building
    quietly on your way to and from the room.

    I hope you will be able to join us this coming Monday night. Please
    feel free to pass this invitation along to anyone else who might be
    interested in attending.

    Best regards,

    Scott Althaus

 Scott L. Althaus
 Charles J. and Ethel S. Merriam Professor of Political Science
 Professor of Communication
 Director, Cline Center for Democracy

 Cline Center for Democracy
 2001 South First Street, Suite 207