[Peace-discuss] The FBI Invents Some Plots & Ignores Others In War On Freedom

E. W. Johnson ewj at pigsqq.org
Wed Feb 4 17:31:04 EST 2015

I also strongly support Occupy!

What's wrong with being an anarchist at heart?

Are you praising them or criticizing them?

If ya live in Amerika and you don't at least sympathize with
anarchists, you might be duped or sumpthin'.

I was disappointed not to see Amerikans in the street
like the comrades in Greece raising hell and being pissed off.

Americans are soft.  (Is it Malakas or Malakos?)

... the Athenian lawmaker Solon decreed it a crime for any citizen to
shrink from controversy.

***

"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we
are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies,
to secret oaths and secret proceedings.

We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted
concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are
cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the
threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions.

Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation
if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger
that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon those
anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship
and concealment.

That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control.

And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low,
civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an
excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes
or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to
know."

For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless
conspiracy that relies on covert means for expanding its sphere of
influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of
elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by
night instead of armies by day.

It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources
into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that
combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and
political operations.

Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried
not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure
is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

"No President should fear public scrutiny of his program. For from that
scrutiny comes understanding; and from that understanding comes support
or opposition. And both are necessary.

I am not asking your newspapers to support the Administration, but I am
asking your help in the tremendous task of informing and alerting the
American people. For I have complete confidence in the response and
dedication of our citizens whenever they are fully informed.

I not only could not stifle controversy among your readers-- I welcome it.

This Administration intends to be candid about its errors; for as a wise
man once said: "An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to
correct it." We intend to accept full responsibility for our errors; and
we expect you to point them out when we miss them.

Without debate, without criticism, no Administration and no country can
succeed-- and no republic can survive.

That is why the Athenian lawmaker Solon decreed it a crime for any
citizen to shrink from controversy.

And that is why our press was protected by the First (emphasized)
Amendment-- the only business in America specifically protected by the
Constitution-- not primarily to amuse and entertain, not to emphasize
the trivial and sentimental, not to simply "give the public what it
wants"--but to inform, to arouse, to reflect, to state our dangers and
our opportunities, to indicate our crises and our choices, to lead, mold
educate and sometimes even anger public opinion.

This means greater coverage and analysis of international news-- for it
is no longer far away and foreign but close at hand and local. It means
greater attention to improved understanding of the news as well as
improved transmission. And it means, finally, that government at all
levels, must meet its obligation to provide you with the fullest
possible information outside the narrowest limits of national security...

And so it is to the printing press--to the recorder of mans deeds, the
keeper of his conscience, the courier of his news-- that we look for
strength and assistance, confident that with your help man will
be what he was born to be: free and independent."