[Peace-discuss] A couple events in Peoria, IL. Wanna go?

laura weiskamp lauraweiskamp at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 11:02:16 EST 2015

A friend of mine, who lives in Peoria, IL sent me info about these two events taking place there. The first interests me most, but I have a prior commitment. The 2nd event, on Feb 19, also interests me. I'd for sure go if anyone from here would like to join me. Community housing might be an option for overnight, or drive back Thurs is ok with me too. I have a 5 seat Safari van, happy to drive.
Anyone?
Laura Weiskamp

Two community events this month will bring attention to the widely discussed issue of mass incarceration in our country and to the other social, political and legal issues that Michelle Alexander examines in her book, The New Jim Crow. Ms. Alexander will speak at 7:00 PM on Thursday, Febru- ary 12, in the Bradley Student Center Ball- room. Then, one week later, at 7:00 PM on Thursday, February 19, at Carver Center, the annual Stop The Hate Vigil sponsored by the Central Illinois Chapter of the Interfaith Alli- ance will feature speaker Justin Glawe, who witnessed recent events in Ferguson, MO. The event will also allow local voices to re- spond to the issues described in “The New Jim Crow” and to the events in Ferguson. This is a rare opportunity to gain insight into these complex issues.