[Peace-discuss] Inga Karliner's response to my letter

Brussel, Morton K via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Jan 14 16:27:34 EST 2015

Yes, amazing!

Inga Karliner is a high energy research physicist, not on the faculty, but fairly prominent in outreach activities in the department. I’m not sure why she hasn't became a certified faculty member. She is married to Jon Thaler, a high energy physics faculty member. She got a PhD at Stanford in 1974, has been at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, and has been a useful member of the department. She evidently is descended from Polish Jews, many perhaps lost in WWII.. She retains a slight accent.

I was amazed at what I consider a stupid letter, inordinately nonsensical; not recognizing that David was asking defenders of Israeli policy, not “private” people, to debate him. It seems to me that she became unstuck—that he would suggest such a preposterous thing. Evidently, she is a fervid supporter of Israel, but one who doesn’t want to reveal why.

My rare encounters with her have been pleasant. Would it have been so had she known what I thought about the local Zionist lobby? Does she want to hide her proud Polish background?

Is such a letter worth a response?

—mkb