[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] Re: Perfidious Democrats (in Illinois, as elsewhere)

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Fri Jul 10 15:57:01 EDT 2015

The local peace group AWARE split a decade ago over a perfidious Democrat*. The minority thought that B. Obama would continue the pro-war/pro-Wall St. policies of the Bush administration; the majority (who left the group) thought he wouldn’t. Like Ophelia, they were the more deceived.

As the Obama administration dragged on (to the point of running the greatest terrorist campaign of modern times, Obama’s thousands of drone assassinations), his defenders were reduced to saying, “Well, he wants to the right thing (on e.g. jobs & war) but the Republicans won’t let him.” What nonsense. As the O. admin. concludes, it’s clear that it’s even more neocon (secret war around the world) and more neolib (secret TPP, TTIP, etc.) than its predecessor was. (To be clear, neoliberalism means using the government to secure the profits of the 1%; neoconservatism means using the military to secure the profits of the 1%.)

The state Democratic party is not a million miles from the national party: it is
 ~ pro-war (not opposing SB 1761 - support for Israeli apartheid = the way the Obama admin. supports its stationary aircraft carrier), and
 ~ pro-Wall St. (not approving HB 106 - the financial transaction tax = the way to end the state’s fiscal problems**).
But the state Democrats claim that they want to Do the Right Thing, and the evil Republicans won’t let them (in spite of the Democrats' veto-proof majorities in both houses).

Both major parties are of course neoliberal and neoconservative. National and state, the Republicans are bad cops (‘we’ll hurt you unless you do as we say = support war/Wall St.') and the Democrats are good cops ('we’re on your side, so do as we say = support war/Wall St.’) Remember that, in the good cop/bad cop scenario, it’s the good cop who’s being disingenuous; the bad cop is telling the truth.

As some of us said a decade ago, it’s time to reject pro-war/pro-Wall St. parties and their candidates. We’ve killed a lot of people at home and abroad by not doing so.

—CGE