[Peace-discuss] Bogus arguments against the Iran deal?

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Tue Jul 14 16:03:34 EDT 2015

Of course the US doesn’t care a Mideastern fig about Iran’s nuclear program. (Israel might, because of the eventual danger that a Iranian bomb might act as deterrent against the US/Israeli monopoly of major violence in the region.)

What the US does care about is re-interting Iran into its “overall framework of order” and control of energy flows in the region - which "gives it indirect but politically critical leverage on the European and Asian economies that are also dependent on energy exports from the region” (Brzezinski).

Iran was part of that 1953-79, and the US wishes to re-integrate it into the present set of US regional clients (notably SA, Israel, and Egypt). This agreement may accomplish that.