[Peace-discuss] FW: [recovery_human_face] NEW REPORT: A critical assessment of public private partnerships and their impact on sustainable development!

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 14 23:35:42 EDT 2015

To: recoveryhumanface at socpro.list.ilo.org
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 09:25:35 +0000
From: mromero at eurodad.org
Subject: [recovery_human_face] NEW REPORT: A critical assessment of public private partnerships and their impact on sustainable development!

​Dear all,

We are pleased to announce that today we launched our newest report,
What lies beneath? a critical assessment of public private partnerships and their impact on sustainable development!

The report looks at the empirical and theoretical evidence available on the nature and impact of public private partnerships (PPPs), and analyses the experiences of Tanzania and Peru, in country case studies carried out by
 Afrodad and Latindadd, respectively. It critically assesses whether PPPs deliver on the promises of their proponents and gives concrete recommendations for policymakers.

Overall, the report finds that:
PPPs are, in most cases, the most expensive method of financing, significantly increasing the cost to the public purse.
PPPs are typically very complex to negotiate and implement and all too often entail higher construction and transaction costs than public works.
PPPs are all too often a risky way of financing for public institutions.
The evidence of impact of PPPs on efficiency is very limited and weak.
PPPs face important challenges when it comes to reducing poverty and inequality, while avoiding negative impacts on the environment.
Implementing PPPs poses important capacity constraints to the public sector, and particularly in developing countries.
PPPs suffer from low transparency and limited public scrutiny, which undermines democratic accountability.

As this report is published, the post-2015 and the financing for development agendas are being negotiated. PPPs are proposed as a key component of the financing for development agenda in response to pressing infrastructure
 needs. However, it is crucial to take into account what has happened so far and examine whether PPPs will help the world’s poorest countries to finance the roads, schools, hospitals, energy and other infrastructure facilities they need to grow and thrive.

We recommend a set of concrete actions that can have a crucial impact in this debate:
Stop hiding the true costs of PPPs
Be transparent and accountable
Put development outcomes at the forefront
Put developing countries in the driving seat

You can find the specificities of these in the full report:
http://eurodad.org/whatliesbeneath

The report has already been picked up by
Reuters
and is mentioned in the Daily Mail,
 which we hope will put pressure on heads of government at this critical time as they gather for the Financing for Development conference in Addis Ababa. We would be very grateful for your help in spreading the word as far and wide as possible on social media,
 using the attached infographics and the #FFD3.

To read a briefing summary in English please
click here.

To read a briefing summary in Spanish please
click here.

To read a briefing summary in French please
click here.

You can also read and share the press
 release: Major new report warns against the promotion of PPPs in development finance as heads of state gather for UN summit in Addis Ababa.

Thanks a lot in advance of your support!

Kind regards,

MJ

María José Romero

Policy and Advocacy Manager, Private finance and DFIs

Eurodad, European Network on Debt and Development
Tel:
 + 32 2 894 46 47
Skype: eurodad-mariajose
Email:
mromero at eurodad.org

Rue d’Edimbourg, 18-26. Brussels 1050. Belgium
Subscribe to Eurodad’s forthightly Development Finance Watch newsletter at:
http://www.eurodad.org

Please share your inputs by e-mailing: recoveryhumanface at socpro.list.ilo.org.
 To see all messages http://www.recoveryhumanface.org/.  This
 e-discussion is intended to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and ideas; the views expressed by contributors do not reflect the policies of ILO. The discussion is moderated by Isabel Ortiz, contact at ortizi at ilo.org.

Subscribe ¦ Unsubscribe

This electronic message may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information intended solely for the use of the named recipient. The ILO is not liable for any error or virus connected with this transmission.

Ce message électronique peut contenir des informations confidentielles, ou spécialement protégées, à la seule intention du destinataire. L'OIT ne peut être tenue responsable des erreurs ou des virus qui s'y trouveraient.

Este mensaje electrónico puede contener información confidencial o especialmente protegida para el uso exclusivo del destinatario indicado. La OIT no se responsabiliza en caso de error o virus.