[Peace-discuss] Eric Foner says

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 24 16:55:45 EDT 2015

…One-hundred-and-fifty years later, we still have a problem in this country coming to terms with the existence of slavery. There’s no museum of the history of slavery in the entire United States. There’s a Holocaust museum; there’s plenty of other museums [about tragedies and atrocities], but there’s no memorial to the victims of slavery in the U.S. We have memorials to the victims of the Irish famine; why don’t we have a memorial to the victims of slavery somewhere? What I want people to learn from history is the depth and importance of slavery, and then 100 years of segregation, in shaping the way American society is today.

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/24/the_face_of_racism_today_is_not_a_slaveowner_eric_foner_on_the_past_and_present_of_white_supremacy/?source=newsletter

—mkb