[Peace-discuss] Nepal disaster - benefit concert, Sun May 3rd, 3-5PM @ Mennonite Church

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat May 2 08:00:25 EDT 2015

If you've been concerned about the great earthquake in Nepal ...

The Nepali Student Association of UIUC is holding a benefit concert,

     Sunday, May 3rd, from 3pm-5pm
     at First Mennonite Church
     902 W Springfield (Springfield and Lincoln), Urbana

https://www.facebook.com/events/749293795191168/

They write:

    Come show your support for those affected by the earthquake in
Nepal. No admissions fee but we will be collecting donations. There will
be music and light refreshments.

    On April 25th, an earthquake of magnitude 7.8 claimed the lives of
more than 6,000 citizens and caused destruction to historical landmarks,
homes and businesses in villages and cities across Nepal.  More than
10,000 people are severely injured and thousands are still missing.   To
contribute to the aid in Nepal's post-earthquake recovery, this live
music benefit aims to raise funds for the emergency response in Nepal.

   Donations from this music concert will be used to send emergency
water, sanitation and medical supplies with a group of Nepalese U of I
students to conduct water and sanitation education with our long term
collaborators, Environment and Public Health Organization (ENPHO).
Alongside ENPHO, the students, trained by engineering and public health
professionals, will teach displaced communities emergency methods of
water treatment, hygiene and sanitation safety to prevent the spread of
disease in the earthquake aftermath.

   In times of tragedy, we turn to the arts to soothe our minds and
offer solace to those experiencing grief. Let us play, listen, and share
in the music while joining together in an important cause. Performers
will include: Dr. Tatiana Shustova and her students, Esteban Gast and
local rock, bluegrass, and folk musicians.

   Donations are accepted in form of cash or check (made out to *_UIUC
Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund_*).   Let's all get together to help Nepal
tackle this catastrophic situation.

Ways to donate:

 1. Cash
 2. Check made out to UIUC Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund
 3. http://www.gofundme.com/swpqs4