[Peace-discuss] Reorganizing the Prairie Greens

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Tue Dec 13 01:47:16 UTC 2016

The debacle of the Stein campaign - its willingness to become a
well-paid tool of the Clinton campaign, regardless of the disapproval of
the Steering Committee of the GPUS - suggests that it's time for Greens
in central Illinois to become a "membership-based, dues paying entity" -
clearly separate from other political parties, local or national.

I'll propose that formally at the next Prairie Greens meeting - and
suggest we begin a drive for dues-paying members. The dues should not be
high, but they should distinguish members from non-members. We should
have card-carrying Prairie Greens, who will decide on the activities of
the party.

"...a problem at play here is the lack of accountability to the
rank-and-file or Green Party leadership that this [Stein] campaign, and
really all campaigns have. This recount scheme was the first and only
time that the campaign made any contact with the Steering Committee when
the campaign all along should have been working in partnership with the
SC. To be fair, none of the GPUS campaigns have so far, but the culture
needs to change. No one is looking out for the Green party here, except
for the steering Committee majority who voted NO and we owe them a debt
of thanks. Part of the proposal of making locals membership-based, dues
paying entities is that Greens will be able to hold their leaders and
their candidates accountable…”

<http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/11/28/the-stein-campaign-and-the-fight-for-green-party-independence/>.

--CGE