[Peace-discuss] Yes Lab: "Total Terrorism Solution" at European Parliament

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:01:23 EST 2016

Subject:
"Total terrorism solution" at European Parliament
From:
"Andy Bichlbaum" <andy at asb.yeslab.org>
Date:
1/12/16 9:41 AM

To:
<imc-bounces at lists.ucimc.org>

Check out the latest news, musings and events from the Yes Lab
Email not displaying correctly? Click here
<https://asb.yeslab.org/civicrm/mailing/view?reset=1&id=374>

Yes Lab

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Yes-Men/96761506615>
Twitter
<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2F%2Fasb.yeslab.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fview%3Freset%3D1%26id%3D374&via=TheYesMen&text=Latest%20news%20ffrom%20the%20Yes%20Lab&hashtags=YesLab&related=TheYesMen>
Google+
<https://plus.google.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fasb.yeslab.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fview%3Freset%3D1%26id%3D374>
Email
<https://asb.yeslab.org/civicrm/mailing/forward?reset=1&jid=1285&qid=3160573&h=3ae62c96afcdad96>

January 12, 2016

*"TOTAL TERRORISM SOLUTION" AT EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT*
*/Hoax highlights failures of military approaches to terrorism/*

Photos, video, and talk text: www.yeslab.org/parliament
<http://yeslab.org/parliament>
Contact: info at theyesmen.org

Today in the European Parliament in Brussels, a "defense and security
consultant" (actually Andy Bichlbaum of the Yes Men, working together
with Greek MEP Stelios Kouloglou) presented an "industrial solution to
terrorism" <http://yeslab.org/parliament-talk> which—unlike all other
military and security solutions—is guaranteed to actually work

During the presentation <http://yeslab.org/parliament-talk>, Bichlbaum
described the failures of military action, drone operations,
assassinations, surveillance, and policing to reduce terrorism in any
way—before presenting the "solution"
<http://yeslab.org/parliament-media>: a fully-defended orb called the
"ENDURAsphere," that gives well-heeled citizens the ability to outlast
any terrorist attack. The audience, which included media, members of the
public, and several MEPs, asked over 10 minutes' worth of questions.

"This hoax was about highlighting that there really is no solution to
terrorism within the defense and security paradigm," said Bichlbaum.
"Military 'solutions' backfire badly."

Bichlbaum wore a colonial-era moustache
<http://yeslab.org/parliament-media>. "Any 'solution' to terrorism that
doesn't take colonial history into account is bound to fail completely,"
said Bichlbaum. "From the parcelling of the Middle East after WWI to the
invasion of Iraq by the US, there are reasons things are as they are."

Speaking to press after the event, MEP Kouloglou
<https://www.google.be/search?q=MEP+Stelios+Kouloglou>highlighted some
actual solutions to terrorism. "Bombing is a recruiting tool for ISIS,"
he said. "If we want to undermine terrorists, we need to end the war in
Syria, welcome Middle Eastern refugees, and marginalize extremists by
establishing better relationships with moderate forces in Islam. We also
need to better integrate the youth of our most disadvantaged communities."

Today's hoax, part of a /Charlie Hebdo/ commemoration organized by
Kouloglou together with MEP Martin Sonneborn
<https://www.google.be/search?q=MEP+Martin+Sonneborn>, represents the
first action of its sort to take place within the European Parliament.
It's also the first time the Yes Men have collaborated with any national
representatives to develop an action.

Video and high-resolution photos are available on request.

<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2F%2Fasb.yeslab.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fview%3Freset%3D1%26id%3D374&via=TheYesMen&text=Latest%20news%20from%20the%20Yes%20Lab&hashtags=YesLab&related=TheYesMen>
Google+
<https://plus.google.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fasb.yeslab.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fview%3Freset%3D1%26id%3D374>
Email
<https://asb.yeslab.org/civicrm/mailing/forward?reset=1&jid=1285&qid=3160573&h=3ae62c96afcdad96>

You received this email because you signed up to receive information
from The Yes Lab. Learn more and connect by visiting our web site
YesLab.org <http://yeslab.org/> and please join/like our Facebook Page
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Yes-Men/96761506615>

This email was sent from:

20 Cooper Sq. 5th Floor