[Peace-discuss] Dick Durbin on "national security letters"

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Jul 29 20:02:15 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Senator Richard J. Durbin <correspondence_reply at durbin.senate.gov>
Date: Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 2:07 PM
Subject: Message from Senator Richard J. Durbin
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

July 29, 2016

Mr. Robert Naiman
802 East California Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801-4342

Dear Mr. Naiman:

          Thank you for contacting me about Senate Amendment 4787 to the
Fiscal Year 2017 Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
Appropriations Act.  I appreciate hearing from you.

          This amendment, offered by Senator John McCain of Arizona, would
permit the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to utilize National
Security Letters (NSLs) to obtain more information from suspected
terrorists, including internet protocol (IP) addresses and email headers.  The
amendment also would make permanent a temporary provision, which allows the
FBI to use NSLs to obtain electronic information from"lone-wolf" terrorists
not connected to foreign terrorist organizations.

          NSLs are a type of administrative subpoena, which allow the FBI
to request certain information from private citizens and companies that is
relevant to a national security related investigation.  Unlike typical
judicial subpoenas, NSLs do not need to be approved by a judge.  NSLs may
only request transactional information like a list of phone numbers dialed,
not the content of phone calls or emails.  NSLs may also be accompanied by
a non-disclosure agreement, which requires the recipient of the NSL not to
disclose any information about the NSL, including to the person whose
information has been requested.

          I oppose this amendment, which failed to receive the 60 votes
necessary for adoption when voted on by the Senate on June 22, 2016.

          Safeguarding the privacy of our citizens while protecting
America’s national security is one of the most important issues facing
Congress today, and striking that balance is no easy task.  I will keep
your concerns about NSLs in mind as this issue is considered in the Senate.

          Thank you again for contacting me.  Please feel free to keep in
touch.

      Sincerely,

      Richard J. Durbin
      United States Senator