[Peace-discuss] July 4th Parade ?

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Sun Jun 5 09:32:19 UTC 2016

On the theme “Celebrate America,” AWARE members could carry posters celebrating Americans’ historic reluctance to go to war. (President John Adams, writing in 1813 about the French revolutionary wars: "The middle third [of the US population] composed principally of the Yeomanry the soundest part of the Nation and always averse to War, were rather luke warm both to England and France.”)

Every American war since (and including) the 'War of Independence’ has been opposed by a majority of Americans, who had to be manipulated into war by government leaders. Not just Washington, Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt, Truman, and Kennedy - but also current leaders: the greatest anti-war demonstrations in human history occurred before the invasion of Iraq; and Obama got himself elected (twice) by co-opting the anti-war movement.

See the excellent recent collection in the Library of America series, "War No More"; on the ‘hard case’ - the Second World War - see the devastating account by Nicholson Baker, “Human Smoke”; and for the horrors of the current US policy - Obama’s drone program is "the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern times” - see Andrew Cockburn, "Kill Chain.” (Maybe we should think about another AWARE reading group on books like these.)

[1] "War No More: Three Centuries of American Antiwar and Peace Writing” (2016) ed. Lawrence Rosenwald: <https://loa.org/books/511-war-no-more-three-centuries-of-american-antiwar-and-peace-writing>;

[2] "Human Smoke: The Beginnings of World War II, the End of Civilization” (2008) by Nicholson Baker: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Smoke>; and

[3] "Kill Chain: The Rise of the High-Tech Assassins" (2015) by Andrew Cockburn: <http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/03/06/remember-kill-chain/> <http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/03/26/how-the-us-government-and-us-military-became-murder-inc/>.

Since the Clinton campaign is smearing Americans’ opposition to war as “isolationism,” we should provide some counter to their propaganda for the July 4 march.

—CGE