[Peace-discuss] Friends of Sabeel NA: Presbyterians & Unitarian Universalists Are Voting This Week!

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Jun 20 21:59:59 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Friends of Sabeel North America <friends at fosna.org>
Date: Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 3:18 PM
Subject: The Presbyterians and Unitarian Universalists Are Voting This Week!
To: Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org>

<https://fosna.nationbuilder.com/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffosna.org%2F%3Futm_source%3DOctober%2B7th%252C%2B2015%26utm_campaign%3DOct%2B7%2B2015%26utm_medium%3Demail&e=69e490bc05179a3ade0124986dd82b18&utm_source=fosna&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uu_presbydivest&n=1>

                                    A Christian Voice for Palestine

*The Presbyterians and Unitarian Universalists Are Voting This Week!*

*[image: presbyterian-church-logo-clipart-1.gif][image:
symbol_gradient.png]
<https://fosna.nationbuilder.com/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fosna.org%2Fevent%2Fsantacruzbds&e=69e490bc05179a3ade0124986dd82b18&utm_source=fosna&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uu_presbydivest&n=2>*

*And We Can Help*

For the past several months FOSNA has been working closely with the
Israel/Palestine Mission Network of the Presbyterian Church and the
Unitarian Universalists for Justice in the Middle East to promote several
divestment resolutions, which the Presbyterian and UU churches are
considering at their upcoming general assemblies. A longtime Christian
voice for Palestine, FOSNA will be present during the assemblies: FOSNA
staff and volunteers will be educating delegates on the situation on the
ground in Palestine, Israel’s continuing human rights violations, FOSNA’s
North American justice campaigns, and the work of our Sabeel-Jerusalem
office. FOSNA will also testify at committee hearings on the importance of
these resolutions for reaching a just peace. Additionally, for the past six
months, along with Jewish Voice for Peace and the Palestinian Christian
Alliance for Peace, FOSNA has ensured the presence of Palestinian and
Jewish voices at both of the assemblies. Please consider supporting our
efforts so we can continue to provide this work for all denominational
divestment efforts.

*Presbyterian General Assembly, Portland, Oregon, June 18–25*

At its 222nd general assembly, the Presbyterian Church (USA) is considering
resolutions focused on the Palestinian call for Boycott, Divestment and
Sanctions, including fully boycotting Hewlett Packard Inc. and calling for
Re/Max Corporation to cease selling property in the illegal Israeli
settlements. The church is also advocating for the safety and well-being of
the children of Palestine/Israel and calling for human values in the face
of Israel’s occupation. Executive director Tarek Abuata and Reverend Don
Wagner will represent FOSNA throughout the assembly.

*Unitarian Universalist Association General Assembly, Columbus, Ohio, June
22–26**Follow UUJME on Twitter at @uujme and the UUA General Assembly
hashtag #UUAGA*

The general assembly will consider a business resolution asking the UUA to
divest
<https://fosna.nationbuilder.com/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fuujme.org%2Fhome%2FPortals%2F0%2F16proposedbusres2.pdf%3Fver%3D2016-03-08-185818-907&e=69e490bc05179a3ade0124986dd82b18&utm_source=fosna&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uu_presbydivest&n=3>
from
corporations complicit in human rights abuses in occupied Palestine. In
March, the UUA Socially Responsible Investment Committee adopted an
investment screen that evaluates corporations around the world for human
rights abuses, including those committed in occupied Palestine. At the
general assembly, the UU community as a whole will vote to affirm this
divestment decision. FOSNA national organizer Rochelle Gause,
communications coordinator Nadya Tannous, and intern Nadia Hararah will
represent FOSNA in Columbus.

At a time when the Israeli government is funding multimillion-dollar
campaigns aimed at defeating the BDS movement within churches, FOSNA’s
presence is essential in speaking truth, in line with our mission of
developing a spirituality based on justice, peace, nonviolence, liberation
and reconciliation. We are uniquely positioned to provide a national
umbrella for these efforts, sharing the knowledge gained among the
different denominational efforts, providing opportunities for larger
reflection as we expand our work, and reaching out to our base to show up
and support these efforts. Please consider making a donation to support
FOSNA’s presence at these important historic moments to strengthen this
work for collective liberation.

We cannot pray for peace and invest in violence!

Rochelle Gause             Tarek Abuata

National Organizer         Executive Director

 [image: FOSNA_signature.jpg]

Friends of Sabeel North America

[image: donate_button.png]
<https://fosna.nationbuilder.com/email_donate?utm_campaign=blogs6162016&utm_medium=email&utm_source=fosna&e=69e490bc05179a3ade0124986dd82b18&utm_source=fosna&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uu_presbydivest&n=4>
Thank you for being a part of Revolutionary Palestinian Liberation Theology!

*Friends of Sabeel - North America503.653.6624 <503.653.6624>Visit our
Website &STAY CONNECTED*

[image: Twitter]
<https://fosna.nationbuilder.com/r?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Ffosnalive&e=69e490bc05179a3ade0124986dd82b18&utm_source=fosna&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uu_presbydivest&n=5>
 [image: Facebook]
<https://fosna.nationbuilder.com/r?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpages%2FFriends-of-Sabeel-North-America-FOSNA%2F126793740682727&e=69e490bc05179a3ade0124986dd82b18&utm_source=fosna&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uu_presbydivest&n=6>
 [image: YouTube]
<https://fosna.nationbuilder.com/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FFriendsOfSabeelNA&e=69e490bc05179a3ade0124986dd82b18&utm_source=fosna&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uu_presbydivest&n=7>
 [image: RSS]
<https://fosna.nationbuilder.com/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fosna.org%2Ffeeds&e=69e490bc05179a3ade0124986dd82b18&utm_source=fosna&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uu_presbydivest&n=8>
-=-=-

Friends of Sabeel North America · United States