[Peace-discuss] AWARE anti-war demonstration tomorrow, Sat 5/7, 2-4pm

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri May 6 13:26:36 EDT 2016

AWARE's next anti-war demonstration is tomorrow, Saturday, May 7th, at
the usual time and place - 2:00-4:00PM, corner of Main and Neil,
downtown Champaign.

Please join us if you'd like to stand against the wars!

(Keep an eye on the weather.   Thunderstorms are possible, and we might
not stay out if they do come.)

Our wars are still going on, NATO crowds the borders of Russia, it
hasn't been a good year for peace.

Still we can be inspired by the late Daniel Berrigan, who left us a week
ago, on April 30th - on the 41st anniversary of the end of the Vietnam
War which he steadfastly opposed:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/daniel-berrigan-my-dangerous-friend

And inspired too by the feeling of being global citizens, which more
than half of people around the world said they considered stronger than
their feeling of being citizens of their own state.   David Swanson writes:

*   **What Is a Global Citizen, and Can it Save Us?*
  http://davidswanson.org/node/5133
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__davidswanson.org_node_5133&d=CwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=_iuwmBDMEAIAz6k1h--JVoji6x5mlDiImSbbdIp2zWg&m=CchvPtbhV68GlFbtnZqW5H5Rw2afnmPRULFDxuaCJuQ&s=-9VanGa_l8d-mXVsXIIvBWGSS0om_mMConTMoowbIuY&e=>

 for example:

    [...] So how do we think like world citizens? Try this. Read an
    article about a distant place. Think: "That happened to some of us."
    By "us" mean humanity. Read an article about peace activists
    protesting war who say aloud "We are bombing innocent people,"
    identifying themselves with the U.S. military. Work at it until you
    can find such statements incomprehensible. Search online for
    articles mentioning "enemy." Correct them to reflect the fact that
    everyone has the same enemies: war, environmental destruction,
    disease, starvation. Search for "them" and "those people" and change
    it to us and we humans.