[Peace-discuss] May 31, 2016 AWARE on the Air

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Tue May 31 23:36:56 UTC 2016

"Two Minutes Hate," from the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, is a literally (and figuratively) Orwellian objection to what 'AWARE on the Air' was designed to do - i.e., aid awareness of the wars that the Obama administration is carrying on around the world, despite their largely successful attempt to direct attention away from them.

And in that attempt they’ve been aided by liberals employing identity politics - e.g., “You hate Obama!”

No, we hate Obama’s mass murders. He lied his way into the job (twice) by pretending he did too.

The point was made by the late Alex Cockburn, whom I’m proud to call a friend:

"'Is your hate pure?' he would ask a new Nation intern, one eyebrow raised, in merriment or inquisition the intern was unsure. It was a startling question, but then this was—it still is—a startling time. For what the ancients called avarice and iniquity Alex’s hate was pure, and across the years no writer had a deadlier sting against the cruelties and dangerous illusions, the corruptions of empire. But, oh, how much more he was the sum of all he loved.” [JoAnn Wypijewski <http://www.thenation.com/article/remembering-alex/ <http://www.thenation.com/article/remembering-alex/>>]

But Ron is nevertheless correct about the format of 'AWARE on the Air': members and friends of AWARE are invited "to recite, declaim, denounce, rant & sing as you like for some 10–15 minutes, & we’ll see what comes out of the mix."

And I'll continue with an opening comment about what AWARE is attempting to do as part of the anti-war movement - and why that’s necessary.

—CGE